Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Dj7291993

stubborn flex-plate bolts... HELP

Because I play with automatics more than most people I have a specific socket that I have ground the end down to get rid of the bevel. This allows me to get the most bite on the thin heads even on slightly rounded bolts. At this point I would try this so that you have a little extra bite on those rounded heads. Be sure and use a 6 point socket.

Once upon a time, they sold (at Sears and elsewhere) a fluid that you could put in your socket that would provide extra grip on the fastener flats. It was essentially a fine grit in a liquid carrier, and the grit took up the slack between socket and fastener. Your head may be too rounded by now to do much good, but a product like this still might help.

Got it off. I ended up using a set from sears called bolt-out plus. Basically is a bladed socket that cuts into the side of it. The cutting part is curved, so as you turn, it bites further on. About $15. Wish I could have found it sooner. I'm gonna look it up for the link, and update the op with the solution.

Funny no one had mentioned them.

I have a set of the original "Xtractors", Irwin makes them, Sears, Snap-on, Matco, etc.