Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Moved to cali now clutch is acting up

So i moved from nm to cali. Pulled the car off the dolly and now the clutch is slipping. It slipped pretty bad for acouple days in 3rd and 2nd then it stoped. It didnt slip for acouple days and now its slipping again. Are these signs of the clutch going out? I Didnt have any trouble with the clutch in new mexico it didnt slip at all. Whats the best way for 2 guys to change this clutch with no engine hoist.We will be doing it in a covered garage. 1988 subaru dl 4x4 spfi

So... Just to get a little history...

When you towed it, it wasnt in 4WD at all?

How was it up on the tow dolly?

Sounds like something was damaged in the tow...

It was towed on a dolly with the front wheels off the ground. It was in neautral and in 2wd. Nothing is torn up. I think its just time for the clutch to be changed. I will be attempting to remove the motor tomarow to change it out. Does anyone know of a quick way to pull the motor? Some tips or tricks.

Do you know someone with an engine lift?

Maybe post an ad on Craigslist, saying you need to rent one for a day or so, maybe $50 a day? or something...

Jack up the car, put it on jackstands. position the engine hoist, and then hook it up, jack it until the chain has tension. Then remove the 4 bolts on the tranny(two top, two bottom), then the exhaust bolts, should be 4 bolts (2 on each side) then the two motor mount bolts.

Jack the tranny up with a bottle jack, only until the motor mounts pop out of place, then jack the engine until you can separate the engine and tranny, pull the engine out and replace the clutch, or at least inspect it.

This is the best way I know of, I apologize if it isnt much help :(