Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well we did it. We bought an 09 to replace our 97 240k Outback wagon. I just drove it home from Denver over the mountains. Pretty amazing car. I even broke about 40 years of tradition and went with an AT too.

Anyway, I noticed that the coolant, the new blue stuff, is just below the low mark on the tank. I checked and rechecked everywhere, and I don't think there is a leak, but time will tell. My question is can I add some kind of regular coolant to the blue? Is there anything that is compatible? Otherwise it is another 140 mile round trip to the nearest Subbie dealer for a jug of overpriced coolant.

While on this subject, how soon, or often do you add the conditioner? The car only has 18K on it, and has been serviced a dealerships, but I don't know what they did. I will search on that last question and see if I can find the answer. I could not find an answer to the first one.

Thanks

the "super" blue coolant should not be mixed with any other type of coolant. you could always try ordering some off the internet if you don't want to make the drive to get it.

goto any online subaru parts website and search for part #: SOA868V9270

Thanks all. I guess I will plan a trip west this week. The cost of shipping makes ordering the stuff silly.

So, any reason not to put an aftermarket radiator cap on it? I've always just gotten them at NAPA. The car is still on warranty until November, I'm just not used to thinking about going to a dealer for a radiator cap and 2 cups of antifreeze. New car ownership is a new concept.

From reading, it sounds like they did finally eliminate the external HG problem, correct? I can't tell if there is still a need for a conditioner or not. Anyone know?