Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 wagon

Lets hear some opinions on this ride. I think its a nice ride. Just wonderin what it would be worth. I would love to have it but my funds are pretty low and I dont know what i would do about a transmission. I have a 91 loyale with a rebuilt trans that has about 15 thousand miles on it that i would swap into it if i could (dont know if it would match up) Id rather have this one than my rusted up non turbo. so anyway what do you guys think.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2280819426.html

post-28216-136027647052_thumb.jpg

post-28216-136027647058_thumb.jpg

post-28216-136027647069_thumb.jpg

post-28216-136027647076_thumb.jpg

post-28216-136027647086_thumb.jpg

Heck... I will say something. I bought my 85 GL wagon with 112,000 mile on it two months ago for 400 bucks! I am so glad I did. Great car! I getting 25 mpg in that little beast. It's alot better that 10 mpg in my jeep.

So yes, I would jump all over that for 500 if she runs! :banana:

Good luck!

"transmission is shot"

you can most likely clean the governor valve and she would be good to go. secret subaru trick to get cars for cheap! you can make this car drive for the price of a can of carb claner and an hour of your time.

you can consider a swap as well,; a manual trnasmission is all bolt-on if you hva all the assocaiated parts

"transmission is shot"

you can most likely clean the governor valve and she would be good to go. secret subaru trick to get cars for cheap! you can make this car drive for the price of a can of carb claner and an hour of your time.

you can consider a swap as well,; a manual trnasmission is all bolt-on if you hva all the assocaiated parts

They say third gear is out. would cleanin that governor still work?

the car would work in 1st, and in 2nd. when in D, the car may want to stay in 1st, but will shift to 2nd if you move the shifter to 2nd.

this is classic governor problem. worst case scenario, the gear on the governer is chewed up. rebuild or replace, the part is the same in any 3at ea81 or ea82.

this is the perfect excuse to pick up a car for dirt cheap, and fix for nothing, or almost nothing.

3rd gear is not out, but ut wont shift into 3rd with a bad governor.

You could put an automatic in it, easy to tap into vacuum for the modulator... that, and either use your radiator or an external cooler for the cooler lines from the tranny. Also, you would have to swap crossmembers.

There are a couple other things you have to do also, just not exactly sure on what they are... Not many people would swap a manual for an automatic...

It's not always the governor that goes bad... It's easy enough to take out, but I'd also check the pan, at least drain a little fluid.

And if the modulator quits, be prepared to get pulled over :lol:

Edited by misledxcracker

I see the post was deleted by the author most likely the car sold.

Did you buy it?

Can an automatic be bolted in, in place of a manual too?

This car is an automatic, but yes, you can. you need the AT crossmember and driveshaft. if you go through the trouble, swap a 4eat from an 88 and up gl-10 or xt, rx, special order GL. If you do this along with harness and tcu, you can go with ej 4eat's and have the bellhousing for an ej motor. you culd just chop in a 4eat from a legacy to start with. There may be the potential for custom driveshaft, at least is true wih ej mt swaps