Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Electrical (Door Dinger / Chime / Tinkerbell)

hey everyone,

I have an 1986 BRAT GL and im trying to get my door/key dinger to work. i pulled apart my dash and checked all the wiring behind the jockey box and everything seems to look alright on the passenger side. Im not sure what the picture is supposed to look like under the fuse box however. there is a few extra clips under there that are not plugged into anything and im not sure what they go to. everything else in the car works as advertised. i looked at a schematic and it showed a seat belt timer? where is this located and does it have anything to do with my problem? my seat belt light comes on when i turn the key but goes off after a few seconds so im assuming that thing works. any help would be appreciated! :)

-Zach

the door chimer has a p9nk connector, and is located on the right side of the dash, just to the left of the steering wheel, between the stereo

between the stereo and steering wheel? i found a pink connector behind the jockey box that was attached to the dinger but everything looked fine. i also plugged the dinger into my other BRAT so i know its not the dinger itself.

Edited by TIMBERTIGER

ok i looked at the ignition and all the wiring seems ok but there is a spot that looks like the metal has been cut away and peeled back? can anyone explain this? im not pointing to it in the pictures. its over to the right

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc438/timbertiger44/IMG_20110327_083219.jpg

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc438/timbertiger44/IMG_20110327_083212.jpg

yes, this is the part that is missing, a little black thing that is a switch for the ke isert. if you can find the wires to it, touch them together and you should get your chime. but you will have the chime going any time the door is open with r without the key.

maybe the previous owner tok it out because it was annoying

i cant seem to find any wires around the ignition that dont have a home. i may need to make a trip to idaho to look at my parts car. of course my other BRAT is push button so i cant look at it:mad: any idea where those wires should come from and/or what color?

found a green clip stuffed under the dash, stuck a dummy wire in and connected the two prongs and ......ding ding ding. thanks alot for the help! now i just need to get a new ignition switch and figure out how to install the darn thing. it doesnt look like it comes off easy. will i still be able to use my factory key?