Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny problems in my new Brat

Just picked up an 86 Brat yesterday. It runs beautifully, but has a bit of a problem with a trans. Im not a forum newbie so i did a couple hours of searching already, but haven't found anything applicable.

First of there is a TON of slop in the shifter, but I saw the thread about that so I will try to do that fix.

The main problem Im having is that it doesnt want to go into gear, and when you do get it in gear it creeps. Feels like the clutch is not fully releasing when you press the pedal. I noticed that the cable adjustment at the clutch fork was already bottomed out so I put a few washers in there and it cleared the problem right up...for about 5 miles of city driving...now its acting up again. Not sure if something is messing up down in the clutch area, or if its a cable or linkage problem known to these things. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would venture to say a new clutch cable is in store for you. Get it adjusted out right and you should have no worries. When you go to get it make sure they give you the right part, say for an 84 Subaru Brat. The online stores and autoparts stores will often sell you an ea82 part for late 80 model subarus. The slop is common and I fixed mine 8-10 years ago and it has not came back.

k, i just ordered a new shift cable and some trans mounts(the rubber in mine is completely gone on the left side)

one more question...I looked at the shift linkage and it appears someone already put a bolt through it(a la the sloppy shifter fix) but they didnt slot it so it still wobbles on the shift shaft. That will be easy enough to fix...But the well where the end of the shifter goes into, i dont think there is any bushing or anything in it, you can move it up and down almost a full inch. Where can I find the piece that goes in there and what is it called? It almost looks like i could rig something up from the plumbing aisle at home depot, lol.