Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got my heads back from the machine shop, now to buy the best head gasket or a set of gaskets with a suitable head gasket. I heard to use only OEM head gaskets, then I heard to use FelPro, has there been any revisions to the head gaskets that solved the problem of them blowing prematurely, also, is there a recommended sealant like the copper spray, or is reassembly dry better. I'm confused as I have read head gasket jobs were done only to need them in 10,000 miles later, I heard there is an involved method of torquing the head as well, any help is much appreciated...thanks

thanks John, no it was not here I heard about the spray or FelPro, up at the parts store someone mentioned it, have there been revisions to the head gaskets, a newer design OEM?, also is there a preferred outlet to get the gaskets, belt and pulleys, one more thing, should I replace main crank seals, or is a complete teardown required for that...lots of questions I know, I appreciate it much

i don't think you heard any one here say use felpro. OEM ONLY.

no copper spray, put them on dry.

do a search for the torquing sequence. it's been posted several times. or get a manual from the parts store.

I am going to beat this down one more time and smack everyone with a handle.

NO MATTER WHAT YOU GET FOR A BRAND OF GASKETS, OEM'S COME IN THE BOX, BECAUSE SUBARU IS THE ONLY ONE MAKING SUBARU HEAD GASKETS AND ALL OF THE VENDORS SUPPLY THE OEM GASKETS along with their versions of paper and cork.

out of all the different brands of auto parts and products, it all comes down to who 's name is selling what part that ultimately come from the same handful of manufacturers.

BUY THE MARKETING, OR BUY THE PART

timing belt kits with good parts and prices can be had from ''theimportexperts'' on ebay.

oem gasket have been redesigned. order them on line fron www.subarugenuineparts.com or www.subarupartsforyou.com. they cost about 75$ for the pair.

get cam and front crank seals from them as well. there is a plate on the rear of the block that tends to leak, ''oil separator plate''. either replace or reseal. (some are /were plastic, they crack at the bolt holes. definitely replace those.) DO NOT replace the rear main seal. they don't leak until they are replaced, usually.

and probably you should re-seal the oil pump. it holds the front crank seal and there is an o-ring on the back side that can age and leak. you use RTV ultra gray from the parts store instead of a gasket. check the screws on the back side backing plate. they can back out. if it is not leaking you can leave it alone, but if you do all of the above you will be / should be good for 100k miles.

oh yeah, in case no one has told you yet, pull the engine to do the work. it can be done in the car, but it is easier and the success rate is higher if you pull it.

I forgot to mention you will want the head gasket set with the most recent revision/part number. suppose it would be best to get a part number from subaru dealer, buy you can cross reference that number and go with a different supplier for a better price.

NO MATTER WHAT YOU GET FOR A BRAND OF GASKETS, OEM'S COME IN THE BOX, BECAUSE SUBARU IS THE ONLY ONE MAKING SUBARU HEAD GASKETS AND ALL OF THE VENDORS SUPPLY THE OEM GASKETS along with their versions of paper and cork.

i'll take your word for it, but i'll never be able to tell since i'll never buy a fekpro gasket for an ej25. i've been trained, indoctrinated even.

plus the price is the same? or not much different when buying oem online (or wholesale local dealer) vs. retail felpro. (i think, i'll have to check. what's the cost of a felpro gasket?)

EDIT:

felpro at advance autoparts =$36.00

dealer wholesale = $32.00

online dealer = $32.00 plus shipping.

Edited by johnceggleston

i'll take your word for it, but i'll never be able to tell since i'll never buy a fekpro gasket for an ej25. i've been trained, indoctrinated even.

Well, there are those who make decisions based on speculation, and those who make decisions based on experience.

I brought back my old thread about the topic for further discussion.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108259

BY the way, i am not endorsing felpro or dismissing OEM. the point of this argument is that peope are educated in what they are shopping for, and can make their choice from that

Edited by MilesFox

Here is some info that may be helpful. It is directly related to the exact topic you are asking about. I personally have used fel-pro brand with mixed results. The first set I used was before I started on the message board. Those have held up for 15k miles so far and still good. The second set ended up with an external coolant leak, right after installation. BOTH were ej 2.5d engines. First in a Legacy Lsi auto, second in a Outback auto.

Fel-pro does recommend using the copper sealant. It is actually on a small slip of paper included in the packaging of the headgaskets. I found the slip of paper after my last post on the thread. Did not include it because of the whole:horse::horse: issue. Do not use sealant on oem. If I had everything to do over again, I would have used OEM on both cars. 20/20 hindsight.

Somehow the thread i originally started got split. There is good information on both.

I hope this is helpful to you. And good luck to you!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119154&highlight=hate

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119153&highlight=hate