Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey everyone. 98 legacy outback 2.5 MT.

had a check engine light come on, read the code and it came up as a knock sensor problem. i got this same code over a year ago and i just loosened the bolt on the sensor, retightened it and it stayed away. now the light is intermittently coming on and off. car is running as it normally does and it's not making any "knocks" from what is audible to me.

i am guessing just change the sensor? i read in the archives that it could either be the sensor going out or a detonation problem. would i be able to notice or hear a problem if there was an issue? any danger in not changing it out right away? can i expect the same alleviation of my symptoms if i go with a generic over a genuine part?

as always, thank you so much for your knowledge.

Just change out the sensor. I've only ever used OEM, so I can't tell you how the aftermarket ones work. When you replace it, just make sure to clean the mating surface, and point the wire in the right direction so it doesn't get bent when you tighten it down.

2001 Forester 107k miles.

A month ago, my knock sensor began to throw that CEL off and on for a few weeks. Now it is on steady. I pulled the sensor to see if obviously cracked in the housing or if the mating surfaces of the engine vs the sensor were corroded....no to both. So, since I am getting no drivablility symptoms, I am guessing it is the sensor insides which are dying. I will pull it one more time to try to improve the connector contacts, but if that fails, then I will buy a new one and replace it. 12mm socket with two extenders beneath the throttle cables. I needed a breaker bar to loosen that retainer bolt.

Edited by unibrook