Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Simply put, my transmission is on its way out.

I have been doing a lot of reading. I was wondering if anyone can tell me for sure if the Legacy transmissions are directly interchangeable to the Subaru Outback Sport of the same year?

If not can anyone tell me what is interchangeable with a 1998 Subaru OBS? I cannot seem to find anything online on the subject.

(oh and Hi! I'm new to the forum. My name is Bobbie)

yes, most 4EAT's are interchangeable, it's the final drive ratio that matters.

you can even swap different final drive ratio trans if you get the rear differential to "match". swap trans and rear diff and you're done.

yes you can swap legacy and impreza trans, they're the same, just need to match final drive.

i would personally stick to 1998 and earlier trans.

yes, most 4EAT's are interchangeable, it's the final drive ratio that matters.

you can even swap different final drive ratio trans if you get the rear differential to "match". swap trans and rear diff and you're done.

yes you can swap legacy and impreza trans, they're the same, just need to match final drive.

i would personally stick to 1998 and earlier trans.

You , sir, are a life saver. Thank you VERY much!.

• 11 years later...

Hello there everyone,

I got ONE question that I've been trying to find out from many websites and people who know Subaru's better than me. It's been a headache. Im wandering if a 2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport non-turbo, with a manual transmission could be interchangeable with a WRX trans on the similar year, and being a non-turbo? Im looking for a transmission.

Look up on Subaru parts website snd click then box that says “What this fits”...it may list both and confirm they’re identical 

if It doesn’t show both they’re probably still interchangeable  

It should be interchangeable but ive never done any manuals that new.