Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 turbo xt trys to stall after warming up

Hello,

Our 1986 turbo xt 1.8 fuel inj subie starts easy first thing but laterr in the day is harder starting. Also, after its driven and warmed up( maybe 5 min.) than it tends to want to stall (All of a sudden Goes down to 3000 rpms)and has no power when pushing on the gas pedal. Have to keep foot on accelerator to keep rpm's up .After a while( maybe 5 min it seems to return to normal but might act up at any time. Sometimes it seems like it stalls easier when heading or sitting on a downhill slant. ECS light has been staying on more frequently. Any ideas/input will be appreciated. Last few times we accessed the forum for help you guys were awesome . With your help I did things I didn't know I could do .

Thanks

hi, first thing is to look carefully for any air leaks , vac lines and bigger lines ,anything associated with the air filter to turbo and turbo to throttle body. if you can read the codes stored in the computer , then do that, it might give the answer for you , it's easy but you need to learn how to do it . the "coolent temp sensor" ( 2wire connectr) on the rear side of the intake manifold is very important to have working on a FI system. the one on ea82 are known problematic, usually its a corroded connector and corroded wires inside the harness to blame , ocasionally the sensor is bad.

beyond vac/air leaks , the cts , a full tuneup, oh yes , a good O2 sensor, getting the codes from the computer, you should have it doing fine again. the air flow meter and throttle position sensor can give problems, the light wheel inside the distributor can too, the stored codes should give you some answers before an expedition of trial and error, but the air leaks and cts is a good start.

Hi Ruparts,

Thanks much for the info! I tried getting codes by turning the ignition to the "on' position(not starting up engine) and this is what the ECU flashed for me. Code 13 and code 33. If I read them correctly. ie. 3 longs and 3 short means 33, is that correct? Anyway, For 1984 through 1986 Fuel Injected Models I read that code 13 = "Starter Switch On" and 33 is "Coolant Sensor or Circuit".

I would not have thought that the coolant sensor would have that effect but now it sounds like a real good lead after what you say about the problems with those sensors. I will find it and give it a look and let you know what I find. Thanks for the the quick reply. Again I say "The folks on this forum are awesome!"

Your sympltoms are typical of a coolant temp sensor issue. You might just get by cleaning the terminal. It should at least improve a little.

The sensor is on the back of the intake with a brown plug, shaped like the plugs on the injectors. It's a little tight near the turbo. You can remove the '4wd turbo' plenum to get at it easy. You would be good to replae the hose that is on the turbo between the thermostat as preventive maintenance, since that hose can fail if its the original old hose.

Keeping the cooling system 100% is the single most important thing you can do to keep this engine reliable

:banana: Absolutely FAntastic! That's what you guys are.,

I found the coolant sensor and pulled the connector to look at. It was green with corrosion. I cleaned it up and put it back in and VOILA! The XT is running like a dream. NO ECS light anymore and no stalling. And it starts up immediately everytime with no need to push on gas pedal !! I am Flabbergasted!. I don't know how long i would have been rooting around trying to figure out what was wrong. And you guys pinned it down right off the bat. Thanks much Ruparts and MilesFox. You saved us alot of time, trouble and money!

We've benefited alot from looking st this forum. Hope someday to be able to repay the favor to someone else in need.

Hope you all had a great Memorial Day. God Bless America, And all in our Armed Forces! You ARE America!:clap::Flame: