Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st time subaru owner. 85 GL 5speed

I have been reading up on this forum for a few months while shopping for my first subaru. When the right car finally showed up on craigslist I was working and had to send my wife to pick it up. Its low miles (130k) but has its share of problems. Body is rotting on the rear quarters, frame is pretty solid (needs a little rust repair). This is our only car, as I had to sell my two seater for something with room for a car seat. Here she is, I am sure that I will be lurking around her for a while.

DSCF2875.jpg

Welcome aboard! Congrats on your first Subaru. You've found a great home here for both you and your car.

Our first Subie was an '85 wagon--actually two of them, a DL and a GL. Loved those cars, still miss them. Best of luck getting her up to snuff. Lotsa' good people and good info here to help you. :)

yup I am coming of an 80 RX-7 and also have a harley with 88rwhp and weighs less than 500lbs.

We will see, exhaust and tune has put a bit more pep in its step. And I still have the timing to do (hopefully just check PO claimed it was just done).

So far I have:

Changed the oil, tranny and rear diff.

Flushed the radiator

Changed the alternator and compressor belts

Cleaned the carb (kinda am not a fan of this carb, maybe a weber is in my future. I did like my weber on my old vw beetle, and it was a bland progressive)

Re greased the inner passenger cv joint and hand stitched a boot for my dying axle. Its made of a car tube triple stitched with fishing line. (its actually not leaking)

Ordered some por 15 for the frame and body (Not sure if I am going to replace any metal, probably just stop the rust where it is for now).

To do:

Replace front passenger axle

Replace windshield

Rebuild/replace the oil pump (it occasionally drops to almost 0psi at idle when warmed up. That wouldn't just be the sender or gauge right?)

Make a roof basket. Mount bike racks to roof basket.

Eventually when there is extra $ around. 2" lift and a set of 14 or 15" rims to re-drill.

Maybe some driving lights, and off-road lights. Which will probably prompt a alternator swap. . . And if my wife knew how much was compiling in my head (and soon to be piling in my garage) she may have re-considered and made me bought a newere less "fun" car

Congrats on the Subaru!

Looks like you're already off and running getting it road worthy.

The lack of power? Nah, that's part of the charm!

The oil pressure is pretty low on these cars, especially after they warm up. My '91 Loyale usually hovers around zero psi once it's warmed up.

Does it tick loudly from the lifters?

If so, then cam seals and the "mickey mouse" seal behind oil pump will probably take care of it.

If not, I wouldn't worry too much about the oil pump. At least until you're in there anyway (timing belts - hint hint).

Does your A/C work?

Again, congrats.

Congrats on the Subaru!

The oil pressure is pretty low on these cars, especially after they warm up. My '91 Loyale usually hovers around zero psi once it's warmed up.

This should be stated in the owners manual as normal operation

This should be stated in the owners manual as normal operation

:grin: yeah, if you have an owners manual :lol: most dont have those anymore - my GL didnt, Marcs old GL didnt - it is pretty rare to find one in a car this old, a rare treat if you do find one!

sigh - i miss my old GL. Had a lot fo fun with that car.

Edited by heartless

Hmmm. Thats strange. It may have been my imagination but it always seemed to idle just a touch rougher when the pressure dropped. Probably was just me being paranoid. I do like the answers I am getting that keep pointing me toward "your car is fine". Aside from the body (which I can live with, once i get the rust neutralized) the car seems great. I think I have around 10k before I need to worry about the timing belts, they don't sound sloppy yet. Its just one of the things I think about wondering about the previous owners.

The last owner told my wife that the "timing was done recently" and she doesn't remember if he said the belts were done, or just the timing. Oh well. I will keep driving and keep my senses out. Keep the bodywork going and enjoy my ride.

Did I mention that I bought this for less than half what I sold my RX-7 for. Aside from horse power and body condition (that thing was in amazing shape for a 1980) I really feel like I traded up some times.

That and the RX-7s have been losing value pretty quick since I started paying attention (4 years) I bought this one for 2700 with 140k drove it for 3 years and only put 18k on it, and after trying to sell for a year I end up taking 1400. . . It was hard to find any actually selling for more than 2k anymore.

Edited by thatdirtykid

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kid, I am a new member here too but have had my 85, since about 1994. Your in Fort Collins? I was new to Colorado when I bought my Subaru and I mainly bought it due to all the Subarus, some really old and charging along fine, they had out there especially a lot in the mountain towns. Anyway, I have two 85s now and have gone through one parts car. Before I bought my first having never owned one, I took it to a mechanic I found in the phone book, at the time I was living in west Denver. He checked it over took for a short drive and said it was in sound shape (I'll post picks soon of both), then he said remember three things: 1) use a Subaru oil filter, 2) always keep a close watch on the oil and coolant levels, and 3) never shift in a out of 4 wheel drive on a turn. BTW, that mechanic is in your area, I am in San Diego area now, and he and his wife are way, way, good people. Others on here have way more experience than me and may add more tidbits, but congrats on your new wagon. Aaron