Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help With Shifter Return Spring

Hi all,

I took a look underneath the car and found I have no return spring, so I think that's the source of (at least some) of the shifter wobble I have.

I have a '95 (not sure on build month), but I have two part numbers for the spring and info I found.

33022GA081 (probably 4/95 - 7/96)

35044AA000 (probably 1/94 - 7/95)

Can anyone point me to the correct part number or are they somewhat interchangeable?

Also, in looking at where I think the spring goes, the two loops that the spring attaches to are not exactly straight across from each other. It's more of a diagonal. It's different from the pic or two that I've seen. Like this one.Do I have an issue?

Thanks much folks!

JB

The spring should go pretty much straight across. The retainer washer might be on backwards.

I don't know of differences in the springs but there were differences in the linkage between several years. The springs may be slightly different length to accommodate that.

Your build date should be on the sticker on the drivers door.

Fairtax4me,

Thanks very much!

Is the retainer washer something that I can replace relatively easily or does this require a more thorough procedure?

Looks like, at least for mine, it's the 33022GA081 part number. I'll be getting it tomorrow.

Thanks!

JB

Nope , its the large washer with the hook for the spring. It has a flat cut into the hole in the middle so it only goes on one way.

Just reach up in there with a 12mm wrench and take the nut off.

I find it easier to install the spring with the washer removed. Just hook it to the washer, hold it with a finger while you fish it onto the shift linkage, then use the washer to pull back and expand the spring, and pop the washer back on the stud. With the shifter in 1st gear it's really easy.

Thanks 1-3-2-4 and Fairtax4me,

Well, I really don't know at this point. I took some pics for show and hopefully they will help.

These were taken from behind the front driver side wheel. (Have no idea where the oil is coming from... Need to track that down) :eek: :-\

SoobSpringPics 001 (Small).jpg

SoobSpringPics 004 (Small).jpg

SoobSpringPics 012 (Small).jpg

SoobSpringPics 014 (Small).jpg

SoobSpringPics 015 (Small).jpg

Full Album is Here

What do you make of this?

Thanks,

JB

Edited by JazzBass

OK, the washer is on the right way so you don't have to worry about that. It looks like the trans was in gear for these pics? Which would explain why the holes seem to be diagonal to each other. Got a junkyard nearby? Probably find a spring real cheap at a U-pull-it place. :grin:

OK, the washer is on the right way so you don't have to worry about that. It looks like the trans was in gear for these pics? Which would explain why the holes seem to be diagonal to each other. Got a junkyard nearby? Probably find a spring real cheap at a U-pull-it place. :grin:

Thanks guys! I'm actually doing ok finding third, believe it or not. :)

I do have slop in gear, but other posts I have read said it would help with that. Oh well, either way, I'd like to get this fixed and working how it should.

Yeah, the transmission was in gear. For spring installation it should be in neutral, I'm assuming? If so, I'm glad as I was really wondering what sort of a mess I have on my hands.

Thanks very much!

JB

It's not going to help that much with slop in gear.. you need a new shifter knuckle it's the one with the 2 roll pins in it.. about a $60 part if I recall..

It would figure. :) That's not bad on parts, just not looking forward to installing it. May need to have someone else do it.

I appreciate it!

JB

It would figure. :) That's not bad on parts, just not looking forward to installing it. May need to have someone else do it.

I appreciate it!

JB

It's doable.. it's better for space if you have the shifter in 5th gear.. I know I thought it was impossible too..

Lucky for me I will be getting a new transmission in July so I can have everything on the ground to look at.

It's doable.. it's better for space if you have the shifter in 5th gear.. I know I thought it was impossible too..

Lucky for me I will be getting a new transmission in July so I can have everything on the ground to look at.

Cool deal about the transmission. Nice!

Well, I may wind up giving it a shot myself. The dealer has the assembly for $65 or so. I got my spring so I'll try and put that in soon and deal with the knuckle assembly in the near future.

So to install the spring, it's best to leave it in neutral?

Thanks

JB

No because you wont have room put the car in 5th. and it's best to hook the spring on the far side then hook it on the washer. took me like 5 times before i got it to hook... it's a pretty stiff spring so if it pops off make sure you can find it! :P

No because you wont have room put the car in 5th. and it's best to hook the spring on the far side then hook it on the washer. took me like 5 times before i got it to hook... it's a pretty stiff spring so if it pops off make sure you can find it! :P

Awesome! I'll put it in 5th and give it a shot.

Thanks so much!

JB

Alrighty. I got the spring on.

It is rather tough to stretch, but I got it on. This is how I did it:

Closed the hook on one end of the spring a little more so that it would stay on the knuckle linkage better.

Attached the spring to the knuckle linkage.

Used a pair of forceps clamped on the other hook to help me manuver it better.

Using the forceps to hold the spring, I used a bent (curved) screwdriver and hooked it to the spring hook and using the surrounding parts for leverage, stretched the hook over to the washer loop.

Here is the problem:

I must have a great deal of play in the knuckle assembly as the stick is over just underneath 5th gear now and to shift into 1st and 2nd, I need to hold the stick quite a bit to the left. When in gear, it's over to the passenger side now.

So I want to say that the bushings are worn big time in the knuckle. Is this correct? Is there something that can be done to help that? I've heard of folks stuffing a washer or two to help bring the play back to as center as possible.

Any thoughts on my diagnosis? Did I goof something?

Thanks,

JB