Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing the dash from 86 gl

Just curious... I think the cables behind my dash that control my hot and cold broke or something ( I really am not sure) but now I cant slide the temp gauge must past half way down. Do you assume I will need to remove the dash to fix this problem- and I assume the process will suck really bad- but just how bad- and do you have any pointers?

assuming you have something like an 89 gl or a 92 loyale(85-94 l series, ea82), The cables run down to near the gas pedal, and the other end is accessible from the footwell.

You will see a black plastic cover that snaps on, and behind it is the cable end. the cable just snaps into place, and has an eyeley on the end that fits over a peg on the heater box.

YOu can remove the bezel if you need to remove the unit. There are some stealth screws, so dont force anything. The bottom part snaps on and contans the vents, lok for screws flush underneath the bottom edge.

The pushbutton controls will come out by itself. BUT, you must first pop off the DEF and the OFF buttons to get at the screws, it just fits in thee onto a rubber peg in the dash. Do this before popping off the bezel.

Do remove these screwes first, and be careful, do not break the tabs. Otherwise this thing will fall in and be annoying to use.

alright-

so I got to the cable and everything. It wasnt broken. But its odd because even though the dial doesnt slide down all the way - I found the door or vent thing that it opens and shuts and its pretty much opening and closing all the way- its kind of odd. I also opened that black box thing that the heater core is in and it was full of leaves and crap. Now the problem is that the heater/fan/ac whatever- only works sporadically. Sometimes when I turn the car on the fan will work and other times it wont. Anyone wanna take a stab at why this might be happening? I'm guessing some type of electrical problem, but have no idea. As a side note. I have a little vacuum that I can plug into the cig lighter. When the fan is working and I turn it up to 4 it will drag some power off the vac. But when the fan is not working and I turn it up it doesnt take any power from the vac. So its like the fan is not getting power- not like its just a broken or something. any insight would be much appreciated. I just wanna get this figured out before winter strikes again and I can't defrost my car.

could be the fan switch itself. I have had a few you need to push or wiggle it to work on 4

If it is only working on 4, 1-3 are controlled by a resistor coil. This is located under the glovebox, 2 screws and a white lug. All the eaves and crap may have ruined it. Also, the cold can break.

I would lean towards the fan switch itself.

I was referring to the heater resistors. If you can get the fan to work on 1,2,3, then that is good.

the fan switch itself must be screwy. If you pull the lnob, there are 2 screws. You can replaec it by removing the bezel.

once agian, be sure to remove the 2 screws on the heater selector first, before removing the bezel.