Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Junkyard EJ22: checking condition before transplant?

Thanks for the reply :)

Can you confirm the size of the helicoil? The exhaust studs are M10x1.25, but you say the helicoil would help for M12?

To be honest I have read about helicoils failing on some of these repairs, probably because of a bad installation, but since I have never installed one of these nothing guarantees I won't screw up this. I found a similar kit slightly cheaper from a nearby ebay seller -no shipping, which makes them attractive- but I'd rather not have this thing failing in the near future. I saw other people suggesting GM 7/16" exhaust studs as well, but I couldn't find one long enough at Autozone (and was black oxide as well... will rust easily), and I have seen several different pitch mentioned.

There are a few other options (time-serts, solid inserts, etc.) but a) timeserts are quite expensive and B) I have not seen any mention of the solid inserts (i.e. McMaster 97120A125) around here.

whoops! i meant to say 10x1.25 A helicoil set should come with a tap, inserter, and the proper size drill bit. Just make sure to not drill beyond the bore. You really only need to drill about 3/4 the way up.

The inserter is key to success on the helicoil, there is a barba at the end of the coil the inserter grab onto to thread in, and the coil stays when you unscrew the inserter.

I can imagine inserting the coil with the new stud, and that could compromise the torque on the coil.

you can use a threadlocker on the coil when you insert it.

the 7/16 gm stud is a workaround of the helicoil, since you are just boring out the hole larger, using a coarser thread. I would think that a courser thread wont hold torque as well, or may need more torque than what the aluminum can hold.

if you have a hard time finding studs, you can buy the dorman 'help' brand "gm/toyota exhaust manifold" hardware kit (corolla, prism)

This kit will come with 3 studs and nuts, and 2 bolts. The extra bolts can be used elsewhere on the car in most places(AC bracketry, alternator, drivehaft carrier, seats

Thanks for the reply :)

Can you confirm the size of the helicoil? The exhaust studs are M10x1.25, but you say the helicoil would help for M12?

To be honest I have read about helicoils failing on some of these repairs, probably because of a bad installation, but since I have never installed one of these nothing guarantees I won't screw up this. I found a similar kit slightly cheaper from a nearby ebay seller -no shipping, which makes them attractive- but I'd rather not have this thing failing in the near future. I saw other people suggesting GM 7/16" exhaust studs as well, but I couldn't find one long enough at Autozone (and was black oxide as well... will rust easily), and I have seen several different pitch mentioned.

There are a few other options (time-serts, solid inserts, etc.) but a) timeserts are quite expensive and B) I have not seen any mention of the solid inserts (i.e. McMaster 97120A125) around here.