Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seeking Independent Suby Mech near 02171

Hi folks! Haven't posted here in ages. I just moved to Quincy, Massachusetts, and I'm looking for a trustworthy indy mechanic to do a timing belt change on my 2002 Legacy GT (SOHC EJ25). Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Myles

Anything in particular you need? I am a driveway mechanic on-call.

• Timing belt change
  • TB Tensioner
  • Water pump
  • Accessory drive belts
  • Coolant change
  • Brake and clutch fluid change

Thanks again for the referral.

Myles

• Timing belt change
  • TB Tensioner
  • Water pump
  • Accessory drive belts
  • Coolant change
  • Brake and clutch fluid change

Thanks again for the referral.

Myles

You'll get the best service at Chicken and Shakes. It's a total grease shop with no fancy waiting room. If you bring your own parts it might make things to a bit faster. Call them to make an appointment, but they can totally do it. (They did mine.) I stay away from timing belt and water pump jobs simply because it's too easy to screw them up, so when I had mine done I brought it to Chicken and Shakes and they did a great job.

You'll get the best service at Chicken and Shakes. It's a total grease shop with no fancy waiting room. If you bring your own parts it might make things to a bit faster. Call them to make an appointment, but they can totally do it. (They did mine.) I stay away from timing belt and water pump jobs simply because it's too easy to screw them up, so when I had mine done I brought it to Chicken and Shakes and they did a great job.

Did you do the water pump, tensioner, and cam seals along with the belt?

Myles

Did you do the water pump, tensioner, and cam seals along with the belt?

Myles

I did the cam seals last summer, but I had them replace ALL the pulleys and tensioners when they did the timing belt and water pump. I got them all from Subaru, which cost a lot of money. The aftermarket kits are great and inexpensive, but the Subaru OE parts are slightly higher quality.