Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem with my reargate on 03 Foz

Well, the story began with someone bashed the tailgate windows sometime on Saturday night. I wasn't very happy but I was lucky enough to find a shop that can install the window today. But after an hour of waiting they told me that they couldn't get the rear gate open. I took a look at it and sure enough no matter how many times I unlock the door thru remote or the driver door, it won't unlock.

I replaced the outer handle in April so the handle is working. When I took the latch out it seems like the tab that moves the latch is blocking the mechanism that connects to the handle. For example, after I unlock the door, the mechanism that connects to the handle is sitting on top of the tab, therefore when I use the handle, it's just scratching the top of the tab instead of pushing it to release the latch.

I don't know if it all make sense to you guys but I'm wondering if it's just a coincident that the latch fails at the same time. I also want to know do I have to replace the whole Latch & actuator.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about.

th_Screen1207201113_06-IMG_0122.jpg

Thanks!