Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just bought a 94 loyale few questions

Bought a 94 loyale yesterday, the one that was on ebay last week. First question is why does the dash not have a volt meter and oil pressure? I liked those on the 92. Someone at some point traveled with a dog and it scratched the corners of the panels on the doors, could replace them with the ones from the 92? And the front windows only go down as far as the back windows, almost as if someone put rear motors in the front? Would just changing the motors out solve that? And it sometimes has the TOD, any suggestions for that? ( turning the distributor, using something in the oil)

any one ever use mega power motor restorer?
do not use engine additives, that's a really bad idea particularly for a car you just bought. if you want it long term as a daily driver then proper maintenance is best. honestly - you are better of ignoring the TOD, getting a louder radio even, then adding those off the shelf engine additives.

first step to TOD is simply to change the oil and change it regularly.

if TOD doesn't go away here is the best sequence of events to get rid of it:

1. reseal the oil pump (3 parts - shaft seal, oring, and pump housing gasket/oring)

2. replace the oil pump

3. continue on to HLA related solutions

sometimes it's simplest to just combine steps 1 and 2 so you're not doing the job twice. but only you can judge if you're more interested in saving time or money. never reuse any of the seals, particularly the oil pump housing gasket.

steps one and 2 work most of the time, so i'm not going to elaborate on the various options for 3 since they're not likely.

it is pointless to try anything else but those things which are likely.

alright he told me it was "knocking" but when i picked up the car it was very quiet (new exhaust) he was surprised how quiet it was running. After 125 miles yesterday it started to tap. Has a new water pump so i guess i could do the oil pump since it seems they did good regular matinance to it judging by the reciepts. Oil is very clean looks like he did it yesterday, but also looks like possibly he put a half quart of oil too much..

little over won't hurt.

the tapping is benign.....doesn't sound like it, sounds terrible, but it won't hurt anything. i've seen those cars rack up tons of miles on tapping engines easily.

but yeah just follow what i outlined above and you should be golden.

the door cards/panels are easy. pop out from bottom and sides, lift out from the top.

window motors are really annoying, i'll let others comment on that. last failed window i just replaced the entire door because i had one! much simpler than a window motor replacement. :lol:

make sure the switch/grounding isn't bad for the windows before you go tearing into it.

both sides are bad and doing the same thing?

the rear driver side doesn't go down the rear passanger works fine, both front go down as if they are back windows (little more then half way) I have 4 good doors off the 92 but they are different color cars....and the 94 is straight

if both fronts do the same then it might be that the motors are not the problem. sounds too coincidental for not only for them both to be failing, but both to be failing in the same way? i'd look elsewhere for the issues - power, grounding, controls. swap the master control switch maybe?

just seems as if the motors have a stop like the ones in the back. If I use the front driver auto switch it stops in the same spot as the passenger side. Its possible the car has some electric issues, the battery was dead this morning so not sure yet but just seems weird that they stop just like the rear, even on a slight angle.