Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 gl-10 turbo. ej swap??

doobieryan

correct me if im wrong, but since its already wired up for an mpfi motor wouldn't that make an ej swap a lot easier? just a thought, came across a nice one with the stock gold 15 inch rims and everything, its soooo nice...except for the ea82t.

Thanks,

Ryan

Not really - the only benefit is that it's already got the fuel pump in it that you need so you don't have to swap that over or change to FI rated hoses. Otherwise it's the same as any other EJ swap.

GD

More than that.

The VSS, Tach, Neutral switch, CEL, and Switched IG+ and Batt+ are all there in the MPFI ECU plug.

I think it makes for a very clean install to be able to splice in basically ALL of your wiring in one spot.

*note* most of the grounds (-) in the MPFI plug will not have continuity to ground since the Engine section of the harness is where they where grounded to originally.

Edited by Gloyale

It's a trade off. I get my wire splice locations in different spots than you do. It's all about what gen EJ harness you are using and where it comes through the firewall, etc. I've done exclusively EA81 chassis swaps and I like that I can get tach, and ignition switched power from the old coil wires - I use the ignition switched coil + wire to hot-up my new fuse panel for the EJ harness. The fuel pump I intercept at the connector that goes from the dash harness to the rear body harness at the passenger kick panel. ECU, etc goes in the glove-box where it's high and dry.

Only things I get from the cluster area are the start signal, the VSS and the neutral switch if I'm using a clutch switch in place of..... Everything else is in the engine bay and I route the needed wires to labeled terminal strips. This keeps all connections and electronics above or at the level of the air intake.... since most of the one's I've done have been off-road machines in one form or another.

GD

• 2 months later...

That's cool.....still better than steelies.

Gonna swap it? You definately should.

The nice thing about the MPFI cars is the larger Fuel Pump than even the SPFI ones. And again, like I said, you can make all your wiring condensed at the ECU connector(tach,vss,cel,ig,start signal, neutral switch)