Ultimate Subaru Message Board

died now wont start after 300 mile trip

so yesterday i went to warped tour it was about a 320 mile round trip going 70 the whole time at about 3200rps...i was 5 blocks from home lastnight when at a stop light i went to go throw it into first and it just went put-put-put-put- then died...i tried to start it and it just cranks then backfires occasionally...it wont turn over at all...im gonna go pick it up from the alberstons parking lot now...any ideas

timing jump maybe? im not too sure bout that 1 lol anything else evident? lights? (cel)? check small stuff first! i know it sounds stupid but i did a tue up on my 95 leg and the spark plug boot wasnt fully on the spark plug and it was fine until i got to a stop light and then the car barely ran..... had to keep my foot on the gas....... maybe a shorted plug wire or two? possibly cause they melted against the engine?...... just my 2 cents..... let me know :) and good luck!

Love these little cars for the road trips.... glad to hear the roo got you home before you had trouble... any and all cars can and will do that to you.. just die for who knows what reason??

I would look at ignition module in ditsy... If everything else checks out change the distributor (cheaper to buy re-built ditsy then new module), if it still didn't start then keep that one under the seat as a spare.

I just got back Sat. after doing about a 400 loop up to the mountains for some backpacking... 4 years ago I set my 84 Brat up with a 5-sp, new fuel pump, water pump, ditsy and coil with a spare Ditsy in a box in back with basic tools and tow strap... and I take this rig anywhere and everywhere and leave my new cars in the driveway. I trust it this much because I can trouble shoot and fix most issues thanks to others helping me learn how the roo's tick.

One thing that I would suggest is a AAA extended tow card, about $90 a year for a 200 mile tow range. Not sure the exact details (3-tows max I believe) but I pack mine as most my cars are ... old... er... and just nice to have and used in behalf of others broke down along the road, plus I have no one else to call to come and get me... and why bother someone else when AAA is 24/7.

Coming home I got passed by a WRX, he slowed down, gave a wave and off he went... made my day.

Good luck..

Edited by Indrid cold

It would help to know what subaru it was...

If it's an EA82, then that sounds like a normal timing belt break. Take off the distributor cap and crank the motor. The rotor should turn as the motor cranks, if it doesn't the timing belt is broken.

It's also pretty easy to pull off the drivers side timing belt cover to take a look to see if the belt is stripped.