Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to check for inoperative cruise control?

The cruise control does not work on the 90 turbo Loyale SW that I bought recently. No lights come on at all, except for the dash lights. I can't see a fuse for it in the owners manual. Everything else in the car works fine.

The CC is on the dash near the steering wheel, so I am not sure if it is a factory setup or not.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to start or what to look for?

I was a moron and accidently tossed the owners manual I had in the glove compartment for my 83 GL. I don't even know how it works to test it! There is a button and twist ring on the end of the turn signal arm. CC and A/C are two things That I would love to have working.

The cruise control does not work on the 90 turbo Loyale SW that I bought recently. No lights come on at all, except for the dash lights. I can't see a fuse for it in the owners manual. Everything else in the car works fine.

The CC is on the dash near the steering wheel, so I am not sure if it is a factory setup or not.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to start or what to look for?

There were dealer installed vacuum cruise systems, 2 or 3 versions of, IIRC. I seem to have 2 of them, and one factory set up.

If your cruise panel is to the right of the wheel in a rectangular slot (normally used by the power mirrors) it is a dealer add on.

Mine went bad at the little switch box itself, the 'on/accel' button was simply not working. Unfortunately I followed the whole system all over the car before I figured that out. My non attractive repair was to wire a small non locking push button switch from radio shack to the circuit board and bore a fugly hole in the panel and mount the switch on it.

It may be the panel itself, pop it out of the dash and carefully take it apart at the seam. Rig a temporary switch to bypass the one on the board and see if it could be that simple. Also:

The cruise control brain box is behind the glove box, there are switches on the clutch and brake pedal. See if one of the switches has fallen away and is not allowing it to work. Check for voltage at the brain box.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Thanks for the info. Mine is indeed a small panel located where the power mirror switch is normally located. I will try to check out the switch and the brain box. Since it is a dealer installed option, I will also see if I can find where they may have installed an in-line fuse, as that may be the problem as well.

Thanks for the info. Mine is indeed a small panel located where the power mirror switch is normally located. I will try to check out the switch and the brain box. Since it is a dealer installed option, I will also see if I can find where they may have installed an in-line fuse, as that may be the problem as well.

There is no extra fuse, it should be in the fuse panel or tied into an existing circuit if not in the fuse panel. I have removed one of these systems, and I have had a complete extra system as well, and neither had a fuse. I should have paid more attention to the power source when I removed it...

I should also mention that this system has no lights to tell you when it's on, really annoying, I tell you what.

Here's a post I made that has the pinout for the cruise computer connector:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=909213&postcount=16

You should read the whole post as well since it will explain the issues with this system and turbos...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=909213

You might want to add the vacuum pump if you have a turbo :) I got 2 kicking around, one setup already for this...

According to that, pin 12 green/red seems to be the best bet for power, so I would check that pin with a test light and see if it lights up.

For this cruise system to work, it needs a couple of things. It needs the rpm signal, which you get from the negative side of the coil, it needs a vss signal, and it needs vacuum, which is very important and hard to come by with a turbo due to forced induction which mean positive pressure.

There is a cruise "vent" assembly that should be located on the passenger strut tower. This controls the cruise actuator that is connected to the gas pedal inside the cab. This actuator is what controls the speed of the car, so naturally it has to work. So verify you have vacuum going to it as well. There is a check valve that should be connected to the engine vacuum coming from the vent assembly, so check it to make sure it is function properly. If it's not, then you might not get vacuum.

Then you can check the actual switches to make sure they are working as well. If I recall, you can just ground out each wire to activate it. This should be mention in my linked to post. I did this when I added in the buttons onto the steering wheel.

The cruise system is really simple actually, so it should not be too difficult to get it up and running. Here's a photo of the whole cruise system so you can see how simple it really is. It fits into a medium flat rate box no problem :)

1000001001.JPG

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, HTH!

Is there any cruise control controls on the left turn signal arm? if not, what is the push button and adjustable ring at the end?

What car? and I dunno, my 1990 Legacy has the panel lights on a ring on the headlight stalk instead of the rotary hahnyocker on the the dash (?)

My 88 had a switch on the clutch and brake pedals that had to be met so that the cruise control would work. I had to put my foot under the clutch pedal and hold it up while I set the cruise so it would work.

There is a rubber pad on the clutch pedal assembly that just got compressed over time and the switch had pressed a dent into that was too deep to meet the switch. I put some tape over it as a spacer and now it works great.

Hopefully your issue is something easy like that. Oh, and since yours is a turbo it should have an electric vacuum pump. You should be able to hear it kick on if you turn the car to on and then turn the cruise control on. Good luck.

What car? and I dunno, my 1990 Legacy has the panel lights on a ring on the headlight stalk instead of the rotary hahnyocker on the the dash (?)

I have an 83 GL. I can see a faded out "Cruise Control" label on the turn signal arm so that confirms my suspicion. I will have to try and trace the wire and see where it goes? anyone have wiring diagrams of these older subarus or should I hunt e-bay for some dealer manuals?

There is no extra fuse, it should be in the fuse panel or tied into an existing circuit if not in the fuse panel. I have removed one of these systems, and I have had a complete extra system as well, and neither had a fuse. I should have paid more attention to the power source when I removed it...

I should also mention that this system has no lights to tell you when it's on, really annoying, I tell you what.

Here's a post I made that has the pinout for the cruise computer connector:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=909213&postcount=16

You should read the whole post as well since it will explain the issues with this system and turbos...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=909213

You might want to add the vacuum pump if you have a turbo :) I got 2 kicking around, one setup already for this...

According to that, pin 12 green/red seems to be the best bet for power, so I would check that pin with a test light and see if it lights up.

For this cruise system to work, it needs a couple of things. It needs the rpm signal, which you get from the negative side of the coil, it needs a vss signal, and it needs vacuum, which is very important and hard to come by with a turbo due to forced induction which mean positive pressure.

There is a cruise "vent" assembly that should be located on the passenger strut tower. This controls the cruise actuator that is connected to the gas pedal inside the cab. This actuator is what controls the speed of the car, so naturally it has to work. So verify you have vacuum going to it as well. There is a check valve that should be connected to the engine vacuum coming from the vent assembly, so check it to make sure it is function properly. If it's not, then you might not get vacuum.

Then you can check the actual switches to make sure they are working as well. If I recall, you can just ground out each wire to activate it. This should be mention in my linked to post. I did this when I added in the buttons onto the steering wheel.

The cruise system is really simple actually, so it should not be too difficult to get it up and running. Here's a photo of the whole cruise system so you can see how simple it really is. It fits into a medium flat rate box no problem :)

1000001001.JPG

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, HTH!

Thanks. Would you happen to have a photo of how the vacuum is setup on the engine? I am suspecting that vacuum may be the problem. I found a broken plastic "T" in a bag of extra parts, and my mechanic told me that it looks like some of the vacuum hoses have been rearranged. It's possible that it may not even be hooked up, but I am not sure how everything is supposed to look.

Thanks. Would you happen to have a photo of how the vacuum is setup on the engine? I am suspecting that vacuum may be the problem. I found a broken plastic "T" in a bag of extra parts, and my mechanic told me that it looks like some of the vacuum hoses have been rearranged. It's possible that it may not even be hooked up, but I am not sure how everything is supposed to look.

This is the only pic I have of the engine, as I don't have the actual engine anymore, or any of the cruise hookuped since I sold that stuff.

IMG_0475.JPG

The cruise is tapped into the hoses that are by the airbox, specifically the one that is by the oil filling tube that is sticking up. I believe that is the actual hose, because you can see the "t" coming off of it.

Honestly, I would get a vacuum pump and wire it in. It's simply not worth using the cruise since it won't hold speed going down the freeway once you do get vacuum. PM me if you want one of mine...

Edited by eulogious