Ultimate Subaru Message Board

78 brat issues

Okay guys I started out looking for body parts, but now I need some mechanical help. I did a full tune up on the brat and it seemed to make it run worse :banghead: so I had the hitachi rebuilt and it ran like a champ untill it got warm now it smokes like a steam locomotive and idles around 2500 to 3000 rpm no matter how much i adjust the carb or adjust the distributer. The fuel tank need to be dropped and cleaned out but that loooks like a pain to do, so I guess my question is would bad fuel make my car run like this? It doesnt appear to be using any oil or coolent, the previous owner told me that he rebuilt the engine put about 5000 miles on it and parked in 1995 and in 2011 i bought it and it was the first time its run since then. Any help is greatly appreciated, I feel like giving up on it out of frustration and selling the damn thing but everytime I look at it I talk my self out of it :rolleyes:. I LOVE MY BRAT and I just want to drive the thing :) Thank you.

Opps in the title i said its a 78, typo its a 79, Like there is a difference ha

Edited by badassbowtie75

Take off the air cleaner and look down the carb barrels and make sure the butterflies are closing properly.

An air leak can sometimes make an engine idle high, but probably not 2500-3000 RPM.

Also make sure the choke isn't jammed on, this could explain both the high idle and smoke.

Once you've got it running right it will be awesome so don't give up!