Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy GT noisy windshield wiper linkage

Has anyone ever had to take apart the windshield wiper linkage on a 1996-1999 Legacy? If so, I need to know how.... something is falling apart in my 99 Legacy's wiper linkage; it's making a loud thump/banging noise when the wipers reach the top and bottom of their travel. It's not a blade issue ---you can hear the noise coming from inside the cowl where the wiper linkage is located. There's also a tremendous amount of play in the wiper linkage if you try to move the wipers by hand.

I did a little research on this over the past week and found that this is a common problem on Legacys and Foresters of this vintage. The plastic bushing attaching the passenger-side wiper linkage to the wiper motor falls apart over the years, causing excessive play and a clunking/banging noise in the wipers, especially on high speed. Naturally, Subaru does not offer that bushing separately (shocker). I chose to replace the entire right wiper link assembly (which IS available separately for 96-99 Legacy) because it's not expensive and it means "reliability" to me.

Other folks have used an aftermarket windshield wiper linkage bushing kit (Dorman # 49447....one of those little "HELP!" items available at auto parts stores) to replace the bushing separately without having to replace the entire link.

Edited by mwatt

if you have play in them when they are off, and you can wiggle the arms around, then the plastic bushings are worn out in the linkage system.

Kinda a pain to replace, but it is a safety issue, you need wipers working properly. Once fixed they will work like new again.

i have done it on a 90 legacy...you have to remove the wiper...should be a screw under the cap (which by the way could be loose). Then you will need to remove the cowl. There are 3 nuts that hold the actuator. The actuator arm that runs from the motor to the wiper is connected to the actuator via a ball joint that just pops off...if you have big hands like me it is not easy to reach but it can be done. I ended up finding the actuator at the bone yard. hope this helps a little.