Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm in the middle of trying to troubleshoot an overheating problem, posted about it elsewhere. Figured I'd do a flush and new rad cap, see what happens. So I filled with water, got the engine half-way hot, and my upper rad hose is hot, the lower is not.

Now, I'm not a mechanic, but if got this right:

1. the radiator hoses are the short big diameter hoses, one on top, pass side on my 98 OBW, the other on the bottom, driver side comes off the thermostat housing.

2. the coolant flows from the top to the engine, and from the bottom back into the radiator. Or is it the other way around?

I won't be around for a bit but 2 things.

Did you pull the lower hose to begin with - and fill through the top rad hose as the video and burping instructions here say to do?

An air pocket (the EXACT reason for following burping instructions) could be causing hths.

Have you run it long enough to open the thermostat (assuming that it has one and i'ts good). Have the fans kicked on?

I won't be around for a bit but 2 things.

Did you pull the lower hose to begin with - and fill through the top rad hose as the video and burping instructions here say to do?

An air pocket (the EXACT reason for following burping instructions) could be causing hths.

Have you run it long enough to open the thermostat (assuming that it has one and i'ts good). Have the fans kicked on?

Thanks for the lighting fast reply!

Did pull the lower hose and drained. The engine was a bit warm, but coolant wasn't hot to touch but it did seem like it drained completely. I pulled the smaller hose off the water pump and it wasn't draining. Could the thermostat been opened when it shouldn't have been?

Anyway, refilled both the radiator, and through the upper rad hose. Waited a bit, topped off both, very little into the hose. Put the hose back, and started the car, while topping off the radiator.

The heat gauge got about quarter way, so I'd think thermostat should've been opened by then. So, I kinda stopped half way and figured I'd google first before proceeding.

the temp gauge should be just under halfway for normal reading. MAybe the motor needs to warm up mopre for the thermostat to open.

try squeezing the hoses as you throttle the idle between 1500 and 3000 rpm to get it all moving.

run the heater full blast, and if the heat is good and hot, you are golden, but if the heat is cool or lukewarm, there is more air to burp out.

get in the car and hold the idle up and watch the temp gauge rise.

i must warn you that it is possible to overheat the engine during the fill/burp procedure, but only if you are doing it entirely wrong.

Sounds like the thermostat isn't opening. Its located in the housing on the bottom of the engine where the lower radiator hose connects. After the hose is off, its two 10mm bolts to get off and you'll see it. Make sure to use the OEM replacement and not one off the shelf from Auto Zone or Carquest.