Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Brat 4wd lever making tapping noise

When I drive at low speeds, basically anything under -20mph there's a tapping noise coming from the transmission when not in 4wd, if i push down on the lever it lessens, the speed of the noise is in cohesion with the speed of the vehicle. When I put it in 4wd it doesn't make the noise at all. It seems to me like the rod or whatever that activates the 4wd is barely touching the piece it goes through. I'm not really sure what I can do about this, but what I'd like to know is if this may ruin my 4wd because it still goes into 4hi-4lo with ease.

because the shifter is rattling around from loose bushings. If you seacrh for the repair, you will understand.

and because this transmission has no transfer case. all the 4wd is is a lever. there are also ball socket bushings in the lever rods. take a look!

I found that thread about changing the bushings on the shifter, but it doesn't really say anything about changing bushings on the 4wd lever. My 4wd lever bushings are fine, and from what I can see when I took the rubber boot out and proceeded to drive. The ping noise is coming from the inside of the back of the transmission maybe 5 inches away from where the driver shaft comes out. I don't really see how the shifter can be the piece making the rattling noise because first off it increases with vehicle speed, and then disappears after about 15mph so if it was the shifter why would it stop after 15ph... I think I'm just gonna do the 5spd swap soon...