Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Slight coolant leak

89 Subaru DL wagon 1.8L automatic. Sometimes, randomly i smell coolant after driving the soobie. Is there a mysterious place it can come from that is hard to see? I have had to top off the tank but it never takes much. It never overheats, no visible leaks on the driveway, no smell on the interior. When changing the transmission and differential fluid yesterday, I noted one drop of coolant on the bottom of the crossmember aft of the oil pan. I just cant seem to see where it is coming from. I looked everywhere using a mag light and a mirror with no luck. Thanks love this site....

There is also a skinny hose that goes between the bottom of the thermostat and the top of the engine block. This one is easy to miss, and usually the first to fail. When it leaks, it puddles under the intake, and runs off the back of the engine.

Check and fill the coolant at the radiator cap. don't just go by the overfill jug alone, and don't assume any coolant pushed out will suck back in. IF the coolant bottle is fuller, this means that coolant could be pushing out from other problems.

Also make sure that the weep hole is not leaking on the water pump.

I looked everywhere, both of the hoses that were suggested were dry and in good shape. No weeping from the water pump. Put it on Ramps and pressure washed the entire engine compartment top and bottom to ensure no residual fluid remains. Drove it 30+ miles after that with no evidence of leakage. Time will tell. Thanks for the soobie support......

I had the exact problem with my '88 GL. The car basically ran okay. No overheating but I would smell coolant after driving it and the radiator level would always drop.

It turned out to be a blown driver side head gasket. I crawled under the car and saw coolant on the underside of the head.