Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all

With second hand subarus being as rare as hens teeth in this part of the world, the opportunity arose recently after an RTA to get my hands on a Forester, I'm not 100% sure on compatible parts, I have a Subaru Impreza EJ18 the Forester is a model (SF5BL4J) out of Spain I believe with an EJ202NWZVA engine TY755XS1AA Trans, is it even worth looking at for some of the parts, engine bay is intact but the body work and front right side got a good beating. I think the driveshafts may make the journey to an Impreza.

Anyone got any idea on other parts.

it would be helpful to know the years involved.

the forester is built on the impreza platform. similar parts will be wheel hubs, axles, drive shaft, steering rack, all sensors, rear brakes, front brakes will swap but you may need larger wheels to clear the calipers, wheels will go but tires are probably too big unless you swap the struts, struts will swap but may need a little work to fit. (i can't remember if it is the early legacy or impreza that needs to be adjusted.)

the engine may swap depending on the year but you may need the ECU as well. the trans will swap if you swap the rear diff with it.

things like the window motors and dome lights are a maybe.

body panels will not.

this info should be accurate for US cars.

Edited by johnceggleston

I had to double check to make sure I was reading correctly... Falkland Islands!!! Oh my... :D

(Sorry for being amazed... I thought even internet had to be sent by ship from the UK :D)

In any case: as John says, the manufacturing dates make all the difference. By any chance do you have the dates for both cars? It can be found on a metal plate under the bonnet, on top of the left strut (I think)

Once you have that information you can probably check opposedforces to see which parts are common to both cars.

thanks for the responses, should have included the basics right.

Impreza is a 1996 model Impreza GF, I don't have access to the Forester right now but based on driveshaft.co.uk it should be a 1998-2002 model which sits about right with the owners recollection of when they got it.

Its encouraging to hear that the Forester is built on the Impreza platform though. Might make it worth taking it off their hands and breaking it for parts.

What is the correct URL for opossed forces, I keep getting a IIS7 site or a blank page , I'm using http://opposedforces.com/parts/ which by all accounts should be correct, I wonder if the site is offline.

There may be a problem right off the bat, as the Impreza is from a previous generation. I don't know how many of the parts were carried over, though...

The link you are using for opposedforces is correct. I recall reading not long ago about some people having issues accessing the page, though. I don't know if they found a solution...

Thanks for the feedback guys, so basically the jury is still out.

Opinions on the engine would be appreciated, is the EJ202 in anyway better than the EJ18 apaprt from the gain in HP, I've only ever heard good things about the EJ18, if it was a turbo version, I guess the EJ20, I could see the benefit of swapping or keeping hold of it until the EJ18 goes south.