Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL lift and wheel sizes

brox

So I've been through every post here and have a pretty good idea of what I'd like to do to my newly acquired 87 GL wagon (EA82) 4x4 with a 5 speed d/r trans. I would like a bit of input before I get serious though.

What are the max tire sizes for different lift sizes for the GLs? (I don't mind doing some cutting.) I thought 30" tires would be nice. The Offroo'd sticky said that a 4" lift would be appropriate with cutting.

With the stock 1.8 engine, what tire size will not tax the engine too much. I'd like to use this around town as well as wheeling. Is 30" a bit big?

Will I need to extend brake lines for any of the lift sizes?

I understand the steering linkage needs extending in a lift but what about the shifters for the trans?

Thanks for all of the help. I'm loving all of the Soobs I see in your posts. I'm stoked to get mine a little closer to that.

Edited by brox

30's are pretty big. Need 4" or 6" l;ift with lots of trimming.

30's will also tax the engine and clutch and axles.

27" or 28" is a much better match to the drivetrain.

Shifter will need some working with anything over a 2" lift.

Brake lines may need lengthed with 4" and 6" lifts. (depends, you can modify the existing lines mount points a bit to get more slack)

Thanks for the info.

I just picked up a set of used 15" steel rims. 6 x 140mm from a 4Runner.

I was thinking of drilling the rims as it seems easier than drilling the hubs. Is that so? I have a drill press and little to no previously acquired machining skills.

The wheel mounting nuts are smaller on the Subaru than the ones the rims are designed for. Can I get wider nuts for the bolts already in the hubs of my Soob or will I have to fit thicker bolts into the hubs (creating a need for hub drilling anyways)?

These rims also conveniently came with some 235/75/r15s, which I believe is somewhere around 28". I have not trial mounted them up to my wagon yet to see what kind of lift I will need to clear them. Will a 2" lift work?

Again, thanks for your expertise.