Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1998 forester, auto trans, with duty c problems. I've pulled the driveshaft and would like to put the front half back in so I can drive it but I can't get it apart. Looks like some sort of CV joint behind the midshaft bearing, about an inch of front to rear play but the rear half won't slip out. Thanks for any help, Red

I'll answer my own question since I'm the first one to have this problem, someone might need some help. The "slip joint" behind the mid shaft bearing is made like a cv joint. It is staked together, so I unstaked it, removed a retaining ring and it came apart. I wiped all of the grease out of the part atached to the front half of the driveshaft and reinstalled it on the car. Seems to work fine with just front wheel drive, only time will tell. Red

thanks for the follow up and good work figuring it out!

oh is that like a newer style shaft or something? the shafts i'm used to just have 4 bolts (like the ones attached to the rear diff) holding the front and rear halves of the driveshaft together. unbolt the rear half and the front just stays in place with the carrier bearing.

yours sounds like a different style. since it had a joint of some sort it had to still have that middle mounting point. my guess is that's the same location as the older style carrier bearing two pieced driveshaft and you could also just buy that older style front driveshaft and bolt it in place.

the transmissions are definitely interchangeable so that end sliding into the trans would be the same.