Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spares Boxing EA81 edition

So far I'm adjusting to the '85 carburated 4 speed world, and need to stock

my emergency rations.

Sure, the car's nice and neat, but that wrench kit and spare ain't always gonna do.

What do you keep, minimum, as spares in your vehicle?

I'm at Spares 0..

Probably can get some of the items from a Subie mechanic from his spares. Just more convenient to have one at hand in the carport or in the box behind the seat..

Everywhere category (don't leave driveway without)

Distant (3-800 mi)

Extreme (rally, snowball races, etc)

Stuff that cross-matches EA82 parts would be good,as I may be stripping one for it's vital bits. .

I have an 82 gl ea81 and keep wrenches and sockets in the common sizes on the car for around town along with some screwdrivers and such, and something to loosens and tighten the lug nuts that's a bit better than the stock lug wrench. A can of wd40 or something because my throttle linkage likes to freeze up once and a while. I also added a full size spare to my car.

On longer trips I carry a spare alt/water pump belt. I've parted a few of these cars out so I have some extras lying around. I usually bring my spare alternator, along with a spare distributor because those are some of the more common fail points and are easy enough to swap out. Some extra oil and gear fluid just to be on the safe side. Some extra wiring and fuses incase I need to bypass or jump something. A booster pack or spare battery as well.

And that's about all I've ever brought, even in the most extreme cases. I have a weber conversion so the carb has not been an issue. There's really not much to go wrong on the older ones. I've had really good luck with my ea81's (except my brat which vapor locked all the time... but that's another story) I've only had to use the spare parts brought along on other's cars, or fixing a loose fitting or something on my own.

Always have a small toolbox with all the basics in it. A roll of bailing wire, Roll of Gorilla Tape, Roll of electrical tape. Some wire and some connectors.

Spare belt. Some oil. Zip ties if various sizes, picked up some that are about 1/2" wide, they seem to hold (almost) anything together. Small multimeter. Did carry coolant for a bit. But always have 2 gallons of water with me so I dumped that. In a pinch the water will get it home.

Was also carrying a brand new spare fuel pump (mine was acting up). But now it's on the car so I'm not carrying that anymore.

There are some other odds and ends as well, like some spare nuts and bolts. But I'd have to go digging in the 4 ammo cans mounted in the back to list them.

I've ripped out brake lines and ripped out front suspension bits on the trail. Always limped it home with those things. (in both cases it was early in the day and I kept wheeling most the day as well, gently of course)

Had my headlight relay take a dump once too at a very late hour. Just hard wired them to the battery and got home.

These things are amazingly easy to patch up with basic items so you can get home. :) Just gotta use your head as to how safe any roadside patch jobs will be to get you there.

Thanks, sorry I couldn't see the thread for a bit for some reason.. :)

I've been quite lucky, especially compared to some folk's talk of their new purchases problems etc. Most every current problem is a result of me trying to fix past ones.. just another thing to tweak.

And learn. I could take the car to the guy who drives a '84 to work every day, he'd get it purring. Then two months down the road I wouldn't know what to do.

So far my list is:

The Wrench Kit (98% of everthing except those darn 14s 17s and 19s, so pack them, fortunately I am redundant and forgetful, so made a set)

The Proper Screwdriver

Flashlight

Vacuum hoses of proper ID/OD (at least 2 sizes)

Filing device for electrical

Electrical tape

zip-ties

Female and Male spade wires (make a few on the bench, connector on each end. Cut and patch as needed. Remember those harness connectors can be rebuilt or repurposed.

Plan Bs

This is where you take note of all the best MacGuyver stories..

Chewing gum (with foil wrapper, important)

Straw

Ballpoint pen with clicker

And of course,

Fluids (Oil, Transmission, Power steering (yes PO added it, tis a dream))

Belts

Except for the fluids and belts, that list would actually be almost an inventory of my pockets after a few days of field work..

I also practice adjustments and inspections safely at home in the dark with just a flashlight and the factory tools. Only 79 parts to memorize, and half of those are lights. :)

Sounds like yo got it covered for now. :)

The big thing is have a few basics and "be one with the machine".

That second cheesy part will let you know what you might need as far as particular extras.

I've always gotten pretty lucky with mine as well. Not sure if it's just a Soob thing.... But my GL seems to be good about letting me know whats up before it leaves me stranded as long as I'm paying attention, giving me time to fix it on my terms.

As crusty as it is, I'd feel fine about driving it cross country. :) (Taking a few extra bits along with me of course to make life easier)

Now the fact I had a plug wire break on me while doing a compression test yesterday (which all cylinders are between 160/165psi! :D at 1,500' elevation, book said 170 is pretty much new), and no one in town will have any until Monday afternoon...

Where is my pack of foil wrapped chewing gum?..... ;)