Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej swap

91 subaru

more powerful and easier to service. The only complicated part is trimming the harness.

i swapped an 01 impreza motor into mine and the only fitment issue i had was the exhaust header interfering with the trans mount(xt6) but that problem would be solved with a impreza trans center section

it is most economical to source all your parts from the same donor car, if you can purchase a whole donor car for under 500

you would have to combo a trans mount set between an impreza and the ea82, and shorten the driveshaft to put an ej trans in your car. it may be more economical to go with the bellhousing plate. You already have the flywheel, just need to drill out the holes.

how much for the engine trans combo? you will still need a harness. You can still get a donor car for within such price. it can cost a little or a lot depending on how you get your parts.

personally i would source a adapter plate and a donor car with a bad at or whatever to get one for near scrap price.

Nope. Just cut about an inch off the front inside and back inside of the front fenders and hammered them flat. For the back i cut as close as i could to the weather striping on the door and hammered it flat. It doesnt rub while driving, but it will barely rub if i get wild with it.

Interesting. I ask because I just threw on some 235/75r15 Wrangler Radials on my wagon which has a 2" lift, and the fronts rub really bad against the firewall part of the fender well when I turn near lock.

Was gonna build some lift blocks and raise it another inch or two, but I suppose I could try hammering the bejesus out of it. And extending the radius rods forward would probably help push the tires forward, too.

Anyways, to get back on topic, with such tall tires, an EJ22 or Frankenmotor swap is a great way to go. But if you plan on doing proper offroading, you may just want to go with a dual-range transmission so that you can crawl somewhat. Even with the lowrange, the tall tires gear ya a bit too high, so trying to offroad without lowrange at all would be a super ***************. Some 4.44 gears would help if you were running the Legacy trans, but not a whole lot.

Hey Randy, what gears are you running?