Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I've had my '95 Subaru L wagon since February of 2011 and at that time I had the clutch done and all has been good. After parking it and not driving it for a few days, the clutch engagement really feels different.

It feels as though the clutch is not full engaged until the pedal is totally up. This is quite a bit different as before it would be roughly 3/4 of the way up and the clutch felt engaged and could give it gas. Now, I basically have to wait until the clutch is totally out until I can give it enough gas to accelerate.

When the clutch is totally out, the clutch does not seem to slip so I think it's ok.

I checked the cable and the adjustment seemed ok, so I tightened it a bit and I'm scared there is not enough free play at the fork so I will back it loosen a few turns.

It was really odd that it seemed like it changed in one day. Can anyone give me some words of wisdom on what to check?

Thanks!

JB

Edited by JazzBass

Just sitting would not cause anything to change. The spring clips holding the TOB to the fork may have failed and then the adjustment on the TOB to clutch.

Gotcha. I'll do some looking and reading on how to check that.

I appreciate it!

JB

Possibly an adjustment issue. There should be about 1/4" of free play at the release lever.

Is the car leaking oil or transmission gear oil?

The release lever is where where the adjustment threaded bolt goes through, correct? The free play is the distance the lever moves if you push the lever by hand (or thumb) towards the firewall before it stops, right?

If so, then yeah, when I tried tightening the adjustment, I eliminated some of the free play so that I don't have a 1/4" anymore. I'll readjust.

As for leaking oil or transmission gear oil, I don't think it is, but I'll check. I did have a pretty bad engine leak, but I replaced the valve cover gaskets and that seemed to have fixed that.

Thanks again!

JB

Just sitting would not cause anything to change. The spring clips holding the TOB to the fork may have failed and then the adjustment on the TOB to clutch.

I've done some searching, but I can't find any information whether you can diagnose broken throwout bearing clips without taking the transmission apart.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

JB

You may be able to see them through the hole in the bellhousing. Remove the cables and the boot from the lever and look in with a flashlight and small mirror.

If you wiggle the release lever the TOB should move with it. If the TOB looks crooked or doesn't move with the release lever one or both of the clips may be broken.

You may be able to see them through the hole in the bellhousing. Remove the cables and the boot from the lever and look in with a flashlight and small mirror.

If you wiggle the release lever the TOB should move with it. If the TOB looks crooked or doesn't move with the release lever one or both of the clips may be broken.

Awesome! Thanks very much! I'll take a look.

JB

Well, from what I could tell, the TOB moves just fine. I kept the cables attached, moved the boot enough out of the way and looked down the hole and had my wife push the clutch pedal down in full strokes and the TOB slides back and forth and didn't look crooked.

So I think that's good. I have readjusted the clutch cable and will drive it a few days and see how it feels.

Thanks,

JB