Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 legacy wagon exhaust, head, radiator ect. Should I move on...?

My 94 legacy wagon is at crossroads. Several problems have built up and I am wondering if maybe it's time to say goodbye.

1) Six to eight months ago, it developed an exhaust leak that makes the wife embarrassed to drive it. I did the add-mineral-spirits-to-the-air-intake-trick and found the leak where the y-pipe connects to the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. There is some tack welded heat shield right there, so I can't tell if there is a rusted out pipe or a bad gasket. I have not taking it apart to find out. I think the y-pipe is a real pricey part because it has the Cat on it...

2)A few months ago, I started getting intermittent blue/white smoke blowing big time out the tailpipe on cold start ups. We're talking spy hunter video game style. Lasts about two blocks then goes away completely for the rest of the day. I added some head gasket junk to the radiator (the expensive kind that said you could add to the coolant.) But no noticeable change. Sometimes it doesn't smoke at all. The car is due for a SMOG check (N. California) and I am weary that it will fail.

3) Yesterday, I saw the engine temp gauge go above the 1/2 way mark for the first time ever, and pulled over to find coolant all over the place. I made it home to find a sizable crack in the plastic side of the radiator.

So I must decide if I order the radiator online, spend the $100 and 2 hours to replace it, then take it to the SMOG shop and spend another $50 to see if it passes smog. If it does pass, then I've got to pay a years registration then deal with the y-pipe exhaust noise for who knows how much, so my wife will drive the car. If it fails smog, then they'll probably tell me I need a head gasket job (which I am not going to do myself) or who knows what else for who knows how much.

With 250K on this car, I am seriously considering just calling Pick-n-pull to come pick it up and look for an Outback.

Any thoughts? It does have nice new tires.:banghead:

Keith

I just replaced the radiator on my 98 OBW. It is not a difficult job. Just remove the cooling fans in front, that are held in with a few bolts. Remove the two small hoses on driver's side for the automatic trans cooling (if so equipped), top and bottom hose, and a few bolts holding the radiator, then pull up, and the rad is out. Pretty much out and in, in less then an hour. Use a long handled pry bar to push the small A/T cooling hoses from the rad nipples, as they will be really stuck on those nipples good. New small hose clamps will prolly be needed.

Suggest using a dremmel tool to buzz off the shroud around the Y pipe to see where the leak is. I wouldn't be surprised that it may just leak at the gasket, where it bolts to the head.