Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Taillight issue

So, no taillights when I turn the headlights on. Also, the switch above the steering wheel does not work. I took it apart and the spring and ball shot out...oops. I do get turn signals, brake lights, and reverse lights though. any ideas? I read something about relays under the dash, any more info on those?

Thanks!

Tailights stop working before or after the switch broke?

Do they work in "running light" position?

Do the interior lights, and front marker lights work? If they don't...it's the whole circuit.

I do know that the lights run through that switch....so if it's broke that could be why.

Come to think of it, I believe the lights stopped working when I broke the switch. I broke the switch mechanically, not electrically, though (if that makes sense). I will do a little more fiddling around to see if the lights work in another setting. The dome light works on the inside and all the dash lights work too.

yeah, I checked the fuses. It's always good to get reminded about the simple stuff though. As for the switch on top, is there any way to replace it that does not involve taking it apart since that is what seems to have landed me here in the first place? I wouldn't be opposed to rewiring a dash switch in its place like you would use for a set of Hellas.

I think the switch electrically works, but I mechanically broke it. I have no issues snipping wires and welding in a new switch. why would it cause issues?

Well you have to remember, that switch is where the power goes through first which is why you can turn the parking lights on and off without the car being on. If the switch is mechanically messed up, it can cause no connection which would give you no lights.

Since I work on Subarus as a profession, I wouldn't recommend bypassing the switch but you can if you like. Might not be as easy as you think which is why I recommended replacing the switch first.

I am not doubting your skill/knowledge in working on these cars. It is just that I like to get as much info as possible before I make decisions. I like to be told why I shouldn't do something. So please excuse my ignorance ;).

That being said, could you tell me any more info on the switch? The reason I am so interested in bypassing it is because I drive 45 minutes to an hour every morning in the dark. I pass 1-2 county mounties every day and I just got pulled over for not having taillights among other things (the lights are the reason I got pulled over, but not what the ticket was for). It does not particularly bother me to bypass the switch and have a separate one, although I am hoping for it to be an easy fix. I really have no access to a junk yard and this is my dd, so it would be helpful to just use an alternative method.