Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wheels and tires to part with???

aedimmick

Hey just bought my subie and lookin to set it up! its a 88 Gl wagon and im looking for wheel and tire combos... im putting a 4 inch sjr lift on it so im thinkin ill pack some 215s under it. anyone got any wheels and/or tires they are willing to part with??? let me know what you got and how much you want

Considering the cost of shipping tires, you'd probably be better off getting some rims that will fit your lug setup and buying tires locally, new or used. I got mine from Walmart for $79 a tire.

And bear in mind that if you have the stock 4-lug pattern, you'll have to drill out some steel rims to fit that, or convert your hubs to 6-lug.

yeah im running a stock motor, im thinking i might actually stick with a 2" lift to avoid messing with the steering shaft. i know its probably not that hard but i dont have tools or skill to fabricate a extension. and a 2" lift is a little cheaper. i found a deal on CL for some old 6 lug toyota 15" rims. will those fit if i drill two holes? and Cyfun what tires did you get at walmart? where they decent for off road traction?

2 inch is a good place to start. I'm still at 2 inches with a ton of fender trimming.

Those rims will probably work. Look at them and make sure the surface where you're putting the hole is flat on the outside. Also, be sure and look at how wide the rims are and how much they're offset. The first set of rims I had were 8 inch wide and like 4 inches offset. They stuck way out past my fenders, and I'd get mud coming in my window. And if I romped on it, the car would buck really hard. I switched to rims that are only 2 inch offset, and they are perfect. My tires just barely fit past the spring perch.

The tires are the Wrangler Radials that are only sold at Walmart. They only come in the 235/75R15 size. The tread is reasonably aggressive but still very good for daily driving, and are rated for 50k miles. I would honestly recommend running a smaller tire if you aren't going to be lifting it past 2 inches. I made mine fit, but they still rub badly if I try to turn sharply. I'm planning on lifting it another inch or two cause I miss being able to turn on a dime.

I'd recommend a 15 inch rim cause 16's sacrifice sidewall and make for a rough ride. And a tire of about 25 or 26 inches. Keep an eye on craigslist, and check out some junkyards. Walmart will mount and balance tires for $6.50 each, and that includes free balancing for the life of the tire.