Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Top of struts knocking sound

Sounds like the strut mount kits are wearing out. When I drive over uneven ground (slowly) I hear lots of knocking coming from above the front wheels. Looking under the hood at the top of the mounts, they look fine. Just wonder what I'm getting into/ how to proceed. Never done it before. It's a 95 legacy wagon ej22. Thank you for any help.

The rubber/metal strut bearing, sometimes called a "top hat." is loose from wear over time. I have a 98 OBW that has the same problem. It really doesn't hurt anything. To correct the problem, requires removing the strut assembly to replace the top hat. This is usually done when the strut cartridge is replaced. Since my strut cartridge (shock absorber) is still good, I just live with the noise.

You can try prying off the rubber plug at the top of the strut, and try tightening the big nut, but it is unlikely that it will tighten further.

I sprayed white lithium grease around the top hat, and that seems to lessen the knocking noise.

Excellent new. I was worried about safety but I guess not really an issue. The cartridges are still fine. I'll try tightening the nut and spraying some lithium.

Are you spraying the top hat as looking from under the hood or underneath the wheel well..?

Excellent new. I was worried about safety but I guess not really an issue. The cartridges are still fine. I'll try tightening the nut and spraying some lithium.

Are you spraying the top hat as looking from under the hood or underneath the wheel well..?

I just used an aerosol can of lith grease with a spray wand attached. I sprayed from under the hood at all seams the best I could. Seemed to help some, as knocking is not as loud.

Thank you for the pic. In fact I popped the rubber cap off the top hat to reveal the bolt at the top of the strut and looking in, what do you know, there's a race of bearings. I was able to spray right down in and all around. In fact, it forced the old grease right out. I cleaned everything up and now I'm back in business.

Thanks again. All very easy. Just the way I like it. Cheers.