Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone!

I'm brand new to the world of Subaru's and luckily I just bought one less than a week ago.

I'm getting ready to move across the state to attend school to become a Helicopter Certified Flight Instructor and was looking to get something that was reliable and something I didn't have to make a monthly payment on. So I started the Craigslist search...

I found a 1996 Legacy L Wagon that was in my price range. The only downside was it was 100 miles away (1-way). So I set up a time to look at it, took my truck (99 F250 Powerstroke) and a car trailer and headed out. Looked at the car - it was a little beat up - but it was expected. It drove fine, didn't see any major issues with it - so I bought it.

I got it for $1300. It had 146000 miles on it, just had the cooling system replaced, and a new alternator. Loaded it up on the trailer and made the drive back home. Going to be doing a tune-up on it this week and hopefully start driving it soon - and listing my truck for sale.

Anyways - I'm looking forward to learning more about the car and the joys of owning a Subaru!

Welcome aboard HardDog! You've landed in a good place here.

If your Subie is in decent shape I'd say you made a smart buy. I know I love my Legacy L Wagon, a '95. Good engine and handy as heck for hauling stuff. Plus you got the last of the non-interference EJ22s.

Good luck--ask questions--and keep us up on your progress.

Thanks!

I'm going to be doing a tune-up on it today and looking everything over. Then probably tomorrow start on the detailing of the interior. The outside on the other hand - will get a wash and wax to protect what paint it has left - haha.

I'm not too worried about the cosmetics - as long as it gets me from point a to point b reliably.

I've been reading as much as I can on the Subies and it seems like a well built car.

Welcome HardDog.

sounds like you got a keeper. The biggest issue with the older Subarus is usually the lack of general maintenance by previous owners. Trying to play catch up on that stuff can get frustrating at times - BUT - once you do get everything caught up, these are GREAT cars.

Were you able to get any kind of maintenance history, besides the short list you gave? such as when the last timing service was done? Some will say 70K on belt service, others 100K - either way, unless you know exactly when it was done last (and what all was done, some will just throw new belts on and call it good), it might be a good idea to invest in a new timing set - belts, pulleys, and front seals, and a water pump while in there. It isnt a huge deal if this year pops a belt - no internal damage done - but it will leave you sitting if it does go...

I only have the little bit they told me. Which was the cooling system (Radiator, water pump, t-stat) and an alternator.

So I think I'm in for the long haul of getting everything else caught up, which hopefully won't be too bad. I'm working on draining the radiator now, and will be burping it when I refill it.

I have the stuff to do an oil change - and as long as the weather holds up, I'll be doing that today as well.

And because a picture is worth a thousand words... my Subie:

Subie.jpg

Looking good! Glad you're getting started on the clean-up, fix-up, getting familiar with the car. Preventive maintenance is the key to happiness!

Strongly second what heartless suggested. Car should be on its 3rd timing belt by now (60k interval). If you don't know the history, by all means change the timing belt, idlers, water pump, replace cam & crank seals, pull the oil pump and re-seal.

Also a tune-up. New NGK plugs, new OEM or NGK plug wires, new PCV valve (and clean the hoses to and from the PCV).

Good luck--and let us know how it's going. :banana:

And I believe the overheating issue has been fixed!

Flushed the radiator, followed the directions in the Owners manual for refilling - along with "burping" - let it cool down, checked the fluid levels and everything was good. Took it for a 15 mile drive and the temp gauge stayed just below the half-way mark.

Before, I drove it 3 miles and the temp gauge was maxed out.

I'm going to start pricing out the rest of the things needed for a good tune up. And hopefully I'll be able to purchase them with this paycheck.