Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 legacy ignition on only 1 coil

I am having trouble finding a problem with my ignition system only giving spark on the front coil. I have tried a new coil and igniter. Having no luck with that I hooked up an o-scope to see that one coil was not getting signal/pluse. I checked the igniter module and it is not getting a signal from the ECU so I disconnected the ECU and igniter to see if the wire was shorted or open. The wire is good.

What all could cause the ECU to send a signal out on one of the spark coils? I replaced the crank and cam position sensors already; but not checked the wires for them. Would the ECU ever have a reason to only ignite one coil?

I was having a similar sporadic problem last year on my 98 OBW and it ended up being the plug connecting to the coil. There are 3 wires on it, one of the wires (happened to be the red one) wasn't seated well in the connector and wasn't carrying the voltage for half the coil.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...