Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no speedo/odo/cruise '97 OBW

My '97 OBW sat for several months in need of a clutch...... when I drove it to the mechanic (my brother), the speedo did not work. It sat for another couple months, then finally the clutch was done last week and I picked it up. The speedo (and odometer,tripmeter) doesn't work as well as the cruise. It seems to run the same, although still not an easy car to shift smoothly (was hoping a new clutch job would fix that - yes, the flywheel was surfaced). Anyhow, I pulled the codes this morning and got P0500 and P1540. *Both* are VSS codes? Can 2 VSS go bad at the same time??? I really hope it's not a wiring issue - but with it sitting for so long, maybe there is corrosion somewhere?

You can use the VSS out of an auto. The earlier manual VSS's had a longer wiring pigtail that went up to the connector by the bellhousing. Autos the bellhousing connector plugged directly onto the sensor.

Later subaru's used a 6" harness with connectors on both ends so that the same sensor was used auto or manual. If you pull the sensor from an auto car, nip the connector with enough wire pigtail to splice to. Then cut the wires off your old 5spd VSS and make your own short connector harness.

Did this on my manual 96 legacy using a vss out of a 99 Forester auto. Bought the car for $500 because among other things the speedo didn't work and the check engine light was on. Replaced the VSS, adjusted the TPS, and it's code free and the speedo works again.

You can use the VSS out of an auto. The earlier manual VSS's had a longer wiring pigtail that went up to the connector by the bellhousing. Autos the bellhousing connector plugged directly onto the sensor.

Later subaru's used a 6" harness with connectors on both ends so that the same sensor was used auto or manual. If you pull the sensor from an auto car, nip the connector with enough wire pigtail to splice to. Then cut the wires off your old 5spd VSS and make your own short connector harness.

Did this on my manual 96 legacy using a vss out of a 99 Forester auto. Bought the car for $500 because among other things the speedo didn't work and the check engine light was on. Replaced the VSS, adjusted the TPS, and it's code free and the speedo works again.

thanks for the info, I think I'll hold out for a correct VSS so I don't have to do any wiring 'nipping/splicing'.