Ultimate Subaru Message Board

which engine for my brat ea81,weber,spfi,ej22??????

ea81 with weber

ea81 with spfi

ej22 w D/R 5 speed.

I have about 7 ea81 and several D/R 4spd.

I just bought the trandapt adapter for a webber .

I have a ej22,all mated with plate to the 5 speed,engine mounts,wiring,exhuast flanges,shifters. Sounds like I have everything to install the ej22 but the wiring is incomplete,no radiator.

If you had your choice of the 3 setups which would you put in a rust free brat with 104,000 miles? I am going to lower a bit by clocking the rear torsion bars upwards and cutting a half of a front coil . I have Allied Armament 15x6 wheels and thinking that 225/50 or 215/50 tires all around.

This will be a summer Brat for daily driving and commuting. I have 6" lift in my winter brat beater.

I want the best perfomance with as little headaches as possible!!!

I have driven ea81 4 speed brats for 20 years and 150,000 miles between 4 difefrent brats. Not going to racing this brat or expecting to break speed records . just want a better performer then the stock ea81 setup. In my readings I believe that the weber will not perform that much better and the spfi will only improve drivibility, starting and possiblly MPG..I dont care about MPG at all..!!!!!

I am leaning towards the ej22 but the time and lack of spare parts is telling me NO..

Give me some ideas and your choice.

Oh and I have 02 2.5 that spun a rod ..I have the crank polished and in future a frankenmota is possible:drunk:

2.5 stroker with 2.2 heads of course na or turbo i drove my 79 wagon with the 2.5 sti short block with 2.5 twin cam heads and turbo has a 5 speed high low and 31 s go's 130 kms in thrid and puts you in the seat fourth is just to fast to get more than 3500 rpms always run outa road but pulls thruogh the muck and rocks at 500 rpms and dosent bog ever just touch the gas and snaps up instantly is a little bitt tight to fitt in but the old 79 loves it cheers

All 3 are good, its about budget, timeframe and how you want it to look. The 2.2 swap is more expensive than it looks and takes a lot longer than it seems.

Thats a fact. Figure about a 500-1000 by the time it is all said and done with.