Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20TT in 95 impreza

Recian

I'm looking to swap in the twin turbo ej20 into my impreza. I know the GC8 (jdm version) had a EJ20T so i know putting it in wont be an issue but has anyone seen the twin turbo from the legacy GT put into these cars? what will need to be done besides swapping the engine harness and ecm? I've heard something about clearance issues in the LHD models. I know the trans that came with these cars is the same so it's just going to be a yank the engine and slip it back into my existing trans so i dont have to try to swap pedals and such for hydraulic clutch.

So for about 750 more i should just go with a single turbo GC8 front clip. It'll have all the stock piping, GC8 hood with intercooler scoop and front bumper along with all body mounting parts needed and it's RHD so i could swap it to RHD along with pedals and parts needed to convert to hydraulic clutch. Itll also have the brembo brake upgrade. Just the bumper and hood alone are worth over $1000. Plus the twin turbo only puts out about 25-35 hp more than the single and im not making a full blown race car just something fun i can beat around in.

Edited by Recian

I've driven both, and let me tell you, if you can find a GC8 WRX Sti EJ20T, I would go for that. Even a WRX EJ20T out of one of those is a hell of a lot better then a twin. That is, if you're talking about the early twin turbos. I haven't driven a newer one, but I hear they're a lot better than the old ones. Don't let the whole "twin turbo" thing fool you. They're a horrible, expensive to run, unreliable, laggy POS. They're everywhere in New Zealand, and they're not called "holiday wreckers" for no reason. Single turbo EJ20s are better in just about every way, plus they're way more fun to drive. I wouldn't even look into a twin.

• 2 weeks later...

seems like i'll be sticking to a GC8 single turbo model. However can the LHD parts be used on a turbo crossmember? It looks like the non turbo member has the same holes on both sides for the intermediate shaft and the pressure lines so curious if the turbo is the same. It's looking like if i were to do it just get a GC8 front clip