Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Loyale wagon leaks oil/coolant?

I owned a '92 loyale wag beater for 6 months before the transmission went out, a friend had the exact same loyale at the salvage yard he works at. It leaks fluids, but runs like a champ. I need a car badly, so I traded in the old loyale for the one at the lot.

I got it home and noticed after it drives, the leak is REALLY bad. I'm a GM guy mostly when it comes to turning wrenches, so I don't have a firm basis of reference here. Hoping to find some input at this forum.

When I drop the front skidplate, I can see bright green coolant leaking a couple drops a minute or so. Oil is dripping as well, but the two don't look mixed together and until I borrow a floorjack and tools from work I'm kinda stuck jamming my head under the bumper and craning my neck around to see what I can. I'm guessing here, like I said no real basis of reference on this configuration of engine, but the fact that its only leaking from the area of the front driver's side cylinder makes me think it could be a head gasket issue? The Loyale is a standard '92 1.8l sohc, so I think if I pull the skidplate and belt, I can reach what I need to replae the gasket without having to pull the engine. Am I way off base with my guesswork here?

Also, I have the engine and exhaust from the old Loyale on parts pull list before they send it to be crushed. Maybe the front windscreen as well. Is there anything else I might want to pull off the old car before they pancake the poor thing?

Also, is there such a thing as an online Loyale build manual? I'm buying a Haynes, but its too often I run into something the Haynes doesn't explain and I wanna have all my bases covered. I'd search the forum, but my mobile browser is, how would I say, rather limited :P

Doesn't necessarily mean headgasket.

It could just have two separate leaks.

The coolant leak could be a number of things. The lower radiator hose is nearby where you mention it drips. If it's touching the engine and leaking, it'd just dribble down.

That hose connects to a short pipe that connects to the water pump inlet. The leak could also be that pipe either on the hose end or on the water pump end.

-The waterpump itself may be leaking.

There is also a small 90* rubber elbow hose that comes out of the very top of the waterpump that could be leaking.

Doesn't necessarily mean headgasket.

It could just have two separate leaks.

The coolant leak could be a number of things. The lower radiator hose is nearby where you mention it drips. If it's touching the engine and leaking, it'd just dribble down.

That hose connects to a short pipe that connects to the water pump inlet. The leak could also be that pipe either on the hose end or on the water pump end.

-The waterpump itself may be leaking.

There is also a small 90* rubber elbow hose that comes out of the very top of the waterpump that could be leaking.

Ill keep that in mind. Probably won't know much more till I wipe wverything down and borrow a floorjack so I can get a better look. Thanks for the input!

I would recommend grabbing the following:

Fuel Pump

Distributor

Axles (if you have space)

Radiator (if you have space, and doesn't need to be rodded)

The fuel injector and battery may prove useful at some point, the battery more-so. The spare tire. Dash and seat/interior parts that may be in better shape than the 'new' one, if applicable.

I also recommend just biting the bullet and doing a full engine reseal. You will wish later you did.