Ultimate Subaru Message Board

quick ea81 wiring help

Hey guys, I could use some basic advice.

Trying to get my 2 Brat cars back together, I had a buddy helping me rip them apart & engines out fast, but he's the type of junkyard mechanic to rip stuff out real fast and not label anything, etc... and now he's gone when he said he'd be helping and I'm left to sort this out alone.

I'm getting my black '83 car together now, maybe slightly more confusing because this car used to be an automatic, was converted to 4-speed manual, some emissions equipment is missing and some wires not hooked up to manual trans (4WD light, etc, only reverse lights were working correctly).

#1 ignition coil wiring:

wires were not labeled when removed, I searched a thread which said the 2 wires that get positive voltage when the key is on ACC go to the coil positive terminal.

Thing is, the 2 coming from the body harness get +Voltage one 12V and one about 5.6V (one yellow and one black w/ white stripe)

So are those 2 coming from the body harness the 2 that go together on the + terminal?

1-6.jpg

#2 the wire next to oil pressure sensor wire:

Ya the longer wire has a connector on it and goes down the front of the engine to plug into the oil pressure sensor. Back where that single wire splits out of the engine wiring harness, there is a short cut wire coming out of that same loom which is the same gauge & brown color.

Needed, is this just split-off from the same wire and I can leave it cut and taped off?

2-5.jpg

#3 unplugged connector over the trans:

It was plugged into a receiving connector of the same type, I thought right above the trans, but I can't seem to find the other end. This end comes out of the body wiring harness that comes out behind that passenger strut.

3-5.jpg

I think that's about it, I have another engine with hoses on it here to compare some more vacuum routing..

Edited by TajMan

here is a photo of my coil

th_IMGP7188.jpg

(click for bigger)

and #3 is an o2 sensor hook up

thanks,

and ahh yes the 02 sensor

So, it appears both the black w/ white stripe wires go to the coil positive, and both of the yellow wires go to the coil negative?

Yeah, that cut wire was a ground, fixed.

yeah, black black wires together and yellow yellow together obviously, one of the yellows fluctuates a low voltage when the key is on ACC because that is the distributor pulse signal from the ecm

Edited by TajMan

Even the carb'd ea81 cars had some little ecm/engine computer right?

What does the feedback from that 02 sensor do in relation to any engine control? Is it just tied with the EGR/emissions equipment, so there would be no benefit to having [02 sensor] if you have all that EGR stuff deleted already?

Even the carb'd ea81 cars had some little ecm/engine computer right?

What does the feedback from that 02 sensor do in relation to any engine control? Is it just tied with the EGR/emissions equipment, so there would be no benefit to having [02 sensor] if you have all that EGR stuff deleted already?

well if you have a feedbacked carbed car the o2 signal goes through the ecm/u then to the carb and adjusts the fuel air mixture almost like fi. but with a carb