Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well im considering swapping an EJ20T into the impreza in the next year or so. The 22 just isnt fast enough for me. I know the trannies for these cars are the same exept the turbo has a hydraulic clutch. Im curious if the cable clutch tranny will work without any issues? If so i can just get the engine and harness/ecu. If not i'll need to do a whole RHD conversion to accomidate the clutch master cylinder. There's no room for it behind the strut tower on the LH side without modifications. My other issue is finding a turbo crossmember (if i dont do a GC8 front clip) Are there any non JDM cars that have a crossmember that'll work?

The cable clutch should be fine. You may want to go with an upgraded clutch disc & pressure plate, but that's up to you. The more agressive clutches can be a little bit of a pain for a daily driver and have a stiffer clutch pedal.

You should be able to use the older turbo Legacy's (91-94) front crossmember. It should bolt up to the GC chassis. The new WRX front crossmember would also work, the only difference would be in the spacing for the bushing mounting points on the lower control arms.