Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 with a mis, soft clutch.

So the soft clutch item I am assuming needs to be replaced with a new clutch. I am wondering what the cause of the bad missing cylinder is. I am told the car won't go over 40 mph. This car is an 81 DL and is in good shape has about 150k on it any ideas? should I walk away or is it worth fixing.

Thanks.

Thanks I will check into it I am not sure what soft is either. I thought maybe it was a hydraulic clutch and there was a problem with the reservoir or something but if its cable that wouldn't be the case. The cable as you said could be loose and in need of adjustment though.

Pretty sure it will go over 40mph. Every Japanese car that I've driven has a light clutch, by that I mean it's easy to push the pedal. It's definitely worth fixing in my opinion, but I love simple old cars. Assuming it has an ea81 pushrod ohv, that engine has a remarkable reputation for being indestructable, they supercharge and or turbo those engines and use them in ultralight airplanes.

So far as the miss it might just need a tune up. Always good to replace plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. If it still misses after that chances are high that's it's an easy and affordable fix. Good luck and keep us posted.