Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My impreza has developed a pop when taking off. Sometimes it pops multiple times as i let out the clutch. It can be felt in the floor more than heard. I replaced the LF control arm bushing since it was leaking grease. Im thinking the RF one will be next. It's dry but the car did get slammed into a mud hole and that's when it started so im thinking the other one may be bad but no visible damage. Im also curious if motor mounts can do this. I've got a set of megan mounts coming. I know i need them because sometimes the car bucks when you're accelerating and let off the gas to shift gears and sometimes shakes bad after letting out the clutch. It'll also bog down and shake badly when you let off the gas while shifting gears The engine will shift back to it's resting position. Any other ideas?

Did you replace the control arm bushing yourself? Did you get the nut on the back TIGHT? Did you check the front bushing?

Ball joints you might feel in the floor because of how the control arm is mounted.

You might also check the bolts for the transmission cross member, make sure they're tight. And check the bolts on the pitch mount as well.

You might be able to grab the rack boots and spin them to where they should be. If not cut the zip ties off and get a hose pick under the small end and spray them with silicone grease. That should help it twist around.

yeah i made sure that nut was super uber tight. It seems to be more towards the right side so it's possible when i hit that hole since i hit it dead on front first i damaged both mounts. The replaced one had goo coming out and it was split so i know it was bad. The clunk can be felt more on the passenger foot board than anything. I'll double check the trans crossmember since I have looseness when shifting it could be a little loose. I had to use some bolts from lowes due to missing some of the bolts when i did the swap to m/t. I didnt realize the front 2 bolts are smaller than the rear 4.

Other way around. The two fronts should be 12mmx1.5 thread. Rears are 10mmx1.5.

I think. Either way, the front two bolts should be the larger of the lot. If you used smaller ones... your whole transmission cross member could be falling off.

I got my motor mounts in this week and double checked my suspension and crossmembers while I was underneath. I found no visible signs of worn components and my tie rods and end links are nice and tight. Cant be moved by hand. The noise seems to have gotten worse with these mounts. It only does it on accel and braking (the 2 times when weight is shifted on/off the front end) Sometimes it'll be one clunk sometimes it'll be multiple clunks while i'm releasing the clutch. I'm thinking maybe I blew out the stuts or have bad strut top mounts. I know i've got a bad RH axle due to leaking grease but i've never heard axles do that nor have i felt them make a pop/clunk feeling in the floor. I replaced the one rear control arm bushing that was leaking but not the other. I took it off and it's dry not even any signs of dryrot where it's going to split.