Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well ive been living with this since i did my swap but it's finally getting annoying. The last straw was today when i tried to pass and ended up grinding gears and reving it high. Anyway here's my issue.

When downshifting from 5 to 4 it'll usually grind going into 4 because i'll end up pushing it half way between 4 and R. I installed the spring that pulls it from 1/2 to center. However that spring only pulls the shifter to the center from 1/2. It doesnt pull from 5/R to center because it's on the left side. I'm curious if there's a 2nd spring that goes to the right side that im missing or some other reason. When you take the car out of 5th it'll sit in the center position to the right (between 5 and R) and wont return to center (between 3 and 4) If anyone's got pics of their setup under the car i'd appreciate that too. I do the large oval washer that the spring hooks to is rounded out. It's hard to keep it centered while bolting it down. There's a notch on it to keep it in a straight up position.

The reverse checker mechanism pulls the shifter back to center from the 5/R positions. I'm not sure if that is servicable with the transmission in the car. More than likely you have to remove the tail housing to disassemble the check mechanism. There is a rod that is bolted to the shift selector arm inside the extension housing that engages the reverse checker. If the bolt has come loose the rod will hang loose on the selector shaft and will slide out of the checker. The bolt on the rod is accessed through the top plate on the extension housing.

Look up Gloyales thread about front seal replacement, there are some pics in there I think.

I'd be more suspicious of worn out shifter bushings than the reverse checker spring being broken. With the shifter in 3rd, can you wiggle it side to side the width of the face of the radio? My dad's legacy had gotten that bad before I put new bushings in the shifter linkage. It was a pain fishing for gears while driving it.

naw there's no play when in gear or when it's in Neutral. I'm kinda curious if there's still dirt in the socket the shifter ball sits in causing it to get stuck. I took the shifter from the junkyard and dropped it in the dirt since it was rusted to the trans when i pulled the tranny. It seems easier to find 4th now that i've got a new set of megan motor mounts. All my old ones were split.

That pivot ball is pretty easy to clean. Just pull the snap/lock ring out and pull the shifter up it should pop right out. A good wipe down and new silicone grease should have it working like new.

You can check the reverse checker for operation by removing the linkage rod from the selector on the transmission. Try to twist the selector arm towards the passenger side (movements at the selector to pick a gear are the same as they are at the shifter).

If it is difficult to turn the reverse checker is working. It should spring back to the center position as soon as it is released. If it freely flops between the center and 5/R positions there is a problem with the checker mechanism or the arm on the selector shaft inside the trans.