Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza m/t starter interchange

I have a 5 speed transaxle that the numbers on it (TY752VX3AA) tell me is out of a '93 Impreza. I need a starter that fits it and I would rather not buy one if there is a chance that I already have one from something else and here is my question. Napa shows that '93 to '96 1.8 and 2.2 manual transmission Imps take the same starter but lists different one's for later models. I did a search on car-part.com and they come up with starters fitting through model year 2002 Impreza's and Forester's. What is different with those and Legacy's (or other models? Thanks for any clarification you may have.

stick with 90-94 imp or legacy. My 95 imp had a different starter when i put in the 93 legacy m/t. I had an a/t. The parts houses all list the starter i had (shorter) for the 95 whether it's a/t or m/t. The flywheel is shorter on the m/t than the torque converter teeth of the a/t so the m/t starter is longer. I know the legacy is the same because that's the tranny i'm running in my car.

I guess I should rephrase my question. What is the difference in the Impreza and Legacy starters for manual transmission vehicles? The early generation's of both use the same flywheel so something must be different in the mounting.

90-95 mt starters will interchange doesn't matter what it came from. There were differences in shape but they still fit and work the same.

AT & MT starters do not interchange.

2.2 and 2.5 starters do not interchange afaik.

1.8 or 2.2 MT starter from 90- 98 should work.