Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check Engine Procedure

Hi I have a 91 Subau Loyale wagon stick 1.8L, and the check engine light is on.

Now I have found many links for the procedure and codes to for this like this one

http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/

but I can not for the life of me get it to work on my car.

So on my particular car, OBDI of course, the read only and test mode connecters are in the engine on the drivers side. The test mode is green and the read only is white. Now I follow the instructions and turn the car off, then on with neither plugs attached (they are always unattached) and the check light is supposed to blink, but it does nothing. is there some step that i'm missing? another connector perhaps to actually tell the computer to start blinking? this is driving me crazy, it should be simple

The light that blinks is supposed to be on the ECU, not the check engine light itself. Cant tell what your looking at but just in case. Under the dash by the steering wheel, or in the trunk depending. Idk where exactly on yours, but make sure your looking at the ECU.

The LED light you’re looking for is located just under the steering column, just behind the trim paneling that usually situates around your knees. It located on the ECU which it mounted upside-down with the LED facing the driver’s seat position. Hope this helps.