Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SBF no2 blows on 1997 legacy L wagon after head gasket repair

Just replaced the head gaskets in my 2.2l Legacy. It ran fine on a short test drive and sounded beautiful on my first 30mile drive to work, then, on my way home it just shut off in traffic, fortunately coasted to the curb and checked it out, the connector to one sensor (not sure which, but it connects to the intake manifold underneath the air cleaner duct) was disconnected and the SBF no 2 fuse was blown. Reconnected the sensor and changed the fuse, on attempted restart the fuse immediately blew again, any suggestions as to why the fuse is blowing? If the suggestion is a wiring short, any hints on where to start looking?

It definitely sounds like a short somewhere. From what you described, it sounds like some wiring has rubbed through the insulation and grounding itself out. That's the only conclusion I can come to due to the fact you drove it for a little while before the problem.

My suggestion would be to go back over all the wiring and components you removed for the head gasket work, and ensure it's good.