Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This Rookie Needs Some Help..

Hey Guys!

Been browsing you're conversations for some time now while looking for my very first Subaru! Been close to acquiring a couple different ones but distance ended up being a major factor. I have been looking for a wagon 1984 or older primarily because I like the body style.

Just found one on CL which is only about 45 min away and easily in my price range.

I have never been a car guy primarily because my dad never taught me much as I grew up so I need some guidance from the best!

Here's the CL ad: (he has is listed as an '85 but am I right in saying that it is an '84 or older?)

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/3357571819.html

What do you think? What questions do I need to ask before going to check it out? I have sent him an email and am awaiting his reply. And if its a steal of a deal, let me know and don't go swoop out from under me! :)

Yea that looks to be an 82 judging by the interior and the third eye. Big things to look for are rust rust and rust. From the pictures it looks pretty good but the common problem areas are right in front of the rear wheels, behind the front wheels, along the rocker panels. Then the hidden area is down in the cowl (area under the wipers). To see this you really have to take that panel off which is not terribly hard.

Everything else with that car is very easy to work on honestly and if it has minimal rust or no rust his price is good. If you do pick it up go on ebay and buy a "how to keep your subaru alive" book. Just make sure its for the right years (there were two). It will walk you through EVERYTHING you really need to know. I dont even own a subaru anymore and still have the book figuring that there MIGHT be a time that i pick up another of the early 80s ones.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it! I just got an email back. They said it has 250000 miles on it... What's the life expectancy on one of these. Obviously it depends on how they took care of it but even if its been care of, could it be on its last legs? I am going to call them in the morning to find out more! Thanks again!

It all depends. There are many on here that have gone 300,000+ in those old rigs. The other thing to keep in mind is the engine is SUPER simple to take out and rebuild if you find its time to do so. Or the other option is always finding a lower mileage motor to put in if the body is in good shape. The real turn off for me with these old subarus these days is the rust. If there is no rust or very very little everything else can be fixed. Also if you find the motor makes more noise than u think it should then offer them less. Worst they can say is no!

There is a subaru hatchback 4wd for sale near me with 56k miles on it that is stated to run very nice. I have not looked at nor will i because of the very large amounts of rust in the pictures. In other words i dont care how low the mileage is. If the body is shot im not looking.

really check that exhaust manifold. they say it leaks oil onto it, but make sure its not coming from the exhaust manifold or the head gasket. valve cover or something isnt too big of deal, but if oil is coming out from the exhaust manifold its bad, and same for the head gasket.

either way the body and interior looks pretty good, as long as rust is minimal and it runs well, seems like a decent deal.

That looks like a decent rig. If it runs ok then, any problems with the ea81(engine) are likely fixable without too much trouble. My '81 has over 294k on it right now and it's still going very strong. The exhaust stud hole can be helicoiled or drilled and tapped for a larger stud. Even a head gasket job isn't that big of a deal really. If it has rod knock, then you might want to stay away.

Cheap replacement parts in a wrecking yard will be real hard to find, since there are not many of those even in the wrecking yards anymore. The exhaust bolt has most likely been stripped out of the cylinder head, but he wasn't quite willing to say that. So you either have to install a helicoil in place and upside down, or pull the engine and install a helicoil, or pull the engine and install another cylinder head that you will not easily find cheap and then have valves reground. How lucky to you feel?

250,000 miles is when they start to need replacement parts on a monthly or weekly basis. That can get real expensive if you can't find those cars in a wrecking yard.

There is a writeup (from GD if memory serves) involving how to drill and tap the exhaust stud holes for a larger stud. I did this on my former EA81 and never had another blow out exhaust gasket. The reason for this is when you drill it out and tap it for the larger size stud, you are now going into the steel spacer as well as the aluminum head and not just into the aluminum head by itself.

Thanks guys for all your help!

Went and took a look at it and I was pretty disappointed. It was a lot rougher than I had anticipated. Don't think they had driven it for a while and I think it was worse than they thought as well. Returned home without my first Subaru but with a better idea of what I want! :)

Thanks again!